Chapter 12 - Power of Will

Stiles called me the next morning. He said his dad found Harris' body, tied to a tree with the same wounds as the other victims. They found the music teacher as well, with likewise injuries. The second set of threefold deaths. 

 A numbness surrounded my body. Six people are dead, two of them being people I never thought I'd lose. If this pattern continues, with the same categories that Deaton mentioned, then there are six more potential victims. Six more people are going to die if I don't figure out a way to stop this Darach.

 I was up all night scouring Mom's office. I managed to find one book on the matter, but it was mostly a regurgitation of what we already know. Eric had tried to get me to come out and go to sleep, but I refused, even after I found what I'd been looking for. There has to be more, I just know it. There's something we're missing, and until I figure it out, there's no time for sleep.

 Books were scattered all around me on the floor, chair, and desk. Certain pages had been torn out and taped to the free space on the wall. I was reading a section on the temples in Calcutta, India, where babies were sacrificed everyday, when Eric came in.

 "I'm going to Derek's," he said.

 I almost didn't soak in what he had said, since I was so emerged in my reading. Then it processed and I looked up quickly. "Wait, can I come?" I asked.

 His eyes were dark and tired. It made me wonder just how much sleep he's been getting himself. The past couple of nights haven't been easy on either of us. "I guess,"

 I slammed the book in my lap shut and set it on top of another growing pile. I hurried upstairs and threw on a fresh pair of clothes before getting into my car with Eric. I let him drive, since he didn't seem to be in the mood to argue. 

 The roads were damp from the afternoon rain as we drove downtown to Derek's loft. The sky had a murky fog hanging just above us. It swirled in circles and seemed to grow thicker the more I stared at it. There was something oddly intriguing about it, like how it appeared it could consume you if you even stepped foot in.

 I didn't realize how immersed I'd become until Eric called me out of my thoughts, alerting me that we'd arrived. I blinked my eyes a few times, stirring myself back into reality. I got out of the car, but when I looked back up to the sky, it was entirely clear. I decided not to think much of it as I followed Eric into the large building I'd been in only a few nights ago.

 We took the elevator up to the floor where Derek's loft is. Eric slid the large metal door open, revealing the open area of the loft. I followed my brother inside, not wanting to be the one to take the first step. 

 "Eric?" Derek's voice called out. I searched around for the source.

 "Yeah," my brother called back. "Emma's here too,"

 I walked slowly down the steps into the main area. Something wasn't right. I could feel it. In fact, I've been feeling it. Ever since I saw Heather's dead body on that metal table, it's like there's this pit in the core of my soul, some kind of dark abyss that's been growing with every loss. I try to push it away, but it's like it's screaming out my name so loud that I can't ignore it. It's the reason I can't eat or sleep. I'm afraid of what it can do.

 "Emma?" I perked up at the sound of my name being called out by a familiar voice. I hardly recognized her as she stepped out from behind the wall. Hard to believe it's been six years since I last saw her.

 "Cora?" I said. 

 A smile spread across her face as she ran over to me, taking me into a hug I never thought I'd have again. Eric had said that she was here, and I did hear her voice over the phone with Scott the night of the full moon, but I guess I just didn't quite believe it until I saw her standing in front of me...alive.