Chapter 17

Jenna

The week flies by too fast for my liking. Before I know it it's Friday. I'm nervous about the dinner with Nate's family. Everyday throughout this week we have picked something to share with each other. Favorite color, favorite movie, favorite pizza toppings. Things you would expect people in a real relationship to know about each other.

I racked my brain over what to wear all week. I picked dozens of outfits and finally settled on a maroon colored lace dress with half sleeves and a thin black belt. I paired it with cute black, jeweled sandals.

I made vanilla and red velvet cupcakes. I wanted everything to be perfect. I know this thing with Nate wasn't real but I wanted to make a good impression.

When Nate got home he inhaled 2 cupcakes before going to take a shower and get ready. At 6:30 we leave and it feels like butterflies have taken up residence in my stomach. I hate feeling so anxious.

"What if your mom gets mad that you brought me?"

"Hey. Relax it's going to be fine. She won't do that. You may not win my mom over but once my dad sees those cupcakes he will be your number one fan."

"What about your brother and your ex? We didn't think this through. I don't think I can do this." I start to panic.

"Yes you can. We can do this. Now come on we're here."

I look up to see that we have parked outside a sprawling mansion. I was so busy panicking I didn't even notice. Nate comes around to my side of the car. He opens my door and holds out his hand to me. I take his hand and step out of the car.

"I won't leave your side okay. We'll be fine just remember to act like it's real." He cups my face and places a hard kiss to my lips. "Come on, let's do this.

I grab my little black purse and the box of cupcakes. Nate gets the flowers for his mom then takes my hand and leads me to the door. He rings the doorbell and barely a second later a short hispanic woman answers the door.

"Lucia! How are you?"

"Mr. Nate it's lovely to see you again. Please come in. Your mother is expecting you." She darts a glance in my direction and she look nervous. Nate chuckles.

"Lucia this is my girlfriend Jenna. Jenna this is my parents housekeeper Lucia."

"Nice to meet you Lucia." I say with a smile.

"Nice to meet to you too Miss Jenna."

"Don't worry Lucy I know my mother is up to something. Will you just make sure there's a table setting for Jenna?"

"Of course Mr. Nate."

Lucia leads us down a wide hall and into what I suppose is the living room before taking off with the box of cupcakes and the flowers.

"Mom."

A beautiful woman with shoulder length brown hair, dressed in an elegant emerald dress stands when she hears Nate.

"Nathaniel. I'm so glad you made it!" She steps towards him with a bright smile and embraces him. When she notices me her smile dims.

"And who is this? You didn't tell me you were bringing a guest."

"Mom this is my girlfriend Jenna. I thought it was about time you met." He wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me to his side.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mrs. Parker." I try to smile and hope my nerves are showing too much.

She gives me a cool look but doesn't return the sentiment.

"We brought you flowers and Jenna made cupcakes. Lucia has them."