Chapter Twenty One - The Wolf Within

Fear. Fear was the emotion that flooded Katerina’s swelling eyes, fear for her life and for Declan’s. The sting of tears burned her eyes, and her lip quivered as droplets began to trickle down her cheek. Katerina scowled and shook her head vigorously – she couldn’t let her wet tear touch the tanned tattooed skin of the man that clutched tightly onto her. As she began to move he squeezed her tighter, and Katerina whimpered out a muffled squeal, certain that this man was making bruises on her skin. But when Katerina gazed into Declan’s gentle emerald eyes, she saw how completely different they were to her eyes. They remained calm – peaceful like undisturbed water. How is he this calm? He has three guns pointing to his head. Katerina thought hysterically, still struggling in the grasp of her kidnapper, why isn’t he doing anything? Wasn’t he supposed to be useful for things like this?

“Get the fuck up pirate!” one of the men spat, tilting his rifle closer to Declan’s skin.

Declan raised an eyebrow at him, and shifted his body away from the mouth of the gun. “How about,” Declan coolly exclaimed, with his arms still calmly raised beside his head, “ya kindly move ya gun from out of me face. I’ll have room to stand then.”

“Just get the fuck up you fucking Irish cocksucker!”

“That ain’t that nice.”

“Believe me pirate! I will put a fucking bullet in your brain! Get the fuck up!”

“Alright, alright.”

Declan sighed and slowly began rising to his feet. The man that he spoke to a second ago, was boiling with rage. His eyebrows arched harshly above his eyes and his mouth tautened, with the corners of his lips curling up into a snarl. The veins in his neck and arms were pulsing harshly against his skin that had turned pink from his anger. Declan peered at him but quickly looked away again, biting down on his tongue to hold in his laughter. What was he doing?

“Is that all of you? Are the anymore of your kind lurking about?” The same angered man hissed, pointing his gun closer to Declan, with the mouth of his gun grazing against his neck – Katerina was shocked to see that he still remained so calm. How did he do it?

“Do ya see anyone else about lad?”

Katerina stiffened - she could feel a horrid lump growing in her throat. What is he doing? Her thoughts screamed, with her fingers tightly coiling around the tattoo arm swathed around her. What the fuck is he doing? He’s going to get killed. We’re going to get killed! What the fuck is he doing? Why can’t he just shut the fuck up?

The men snickered to each other – surrounding Declan like a pack of vicious hyenas in the wild. Wild animals is what they were. They had seized Katerina and Declan like wild monsters right out of a story book. Katerina couldn’t believe what was happening. She was supposed to be somewhere safe. Away from all of this. Away from danger. She should have known something like this would spring up. She was away from Vaas, thus away from any safety she had. If Vaas was here, this would never have happened. Vaas would have put a bullet in their skulls by now. She would have been safe with Vaas.

The last thing she witnessed was the pink-faced man from before suddenly smash the side of his rifle against the back of Declan’s head, knocking him unconscious onto the floor. Katerina winced, shrieking to the horrific thud of Declan’s skull, but before she could blink the same was done to her. She lay there, in the mud, with her ears ringing. She couldn’t hear anything but the annoying buzzing sounds and echoes of sirens ringing through her ear drums. She couldn’t lift her head and she couldn’t move. All she could see was a daunting pair of shoes in her direct view. She glared at them with dread, until everything went black.