Chapter Twenty - Orders

Hey, I'm back! First, I'll just say sorry that I've been so inactivate for the past few weeks, but I have been away, and only came back a couple of days ago. I hope you all don't mind, and due to my absence I give you all an extra long chapter to enjoy! And, I will also add, that I am so happy that the numbers for views, comments and votes keep on rising - even whilst I was away the numbers had risen. That is amazing! So thank you! Anyway, enough of me blabbing on, i'll let you just get to the chapter. Enjoy!

Both eyes were locked ahead of them, glued to the jungle of green behind the sand. Vaas clicked his tongue and took one stride through the warm sand - with Katerina slowly trailing behind him, still clutching onto his arm. Katerina looked up at Vaas - her eyes swelling with dread - and then back to the jungle.

The air was tense and still. The clammy jungle air tightened its grasp on Katerina, squeezing her tight so that the air she breathed made her choke, making it a desperate struggle to take in breath. It was quiet. Katerina could no longer detect the tranquil echo of the ocean waves, or the squawking gulls soaring in the humid air, or the chirping of insects hidden in the brush, or the whispers of the gentle breeze that would brush through her hair. She could only hear her own flustered breath, and the beating of her frenzied heart. Vaas, on the other hand, remained so still, frozen like stone. Like a predator hunting prey - a tiger, stalking its enemy through the towering grass; only stepping lightly on his paws and holding in his breath. But before Katerina could take in one more deep breath to calm herself, the silence was suddenly disturbed by an explosion of brash gun shots and ear-splitting yells of fury.

It happened so suddenly and so quick. Katerina couldn't even fully establish what was happening - it was all a blur. Bullets zoomed from the jungle, towards both Katerina and Vaas, travelling faster than light through the dense air. Gritty yellow sand splashed up from the ground, after the harsh impact of a deadly racing bullet, scratching both Katerina's and Vaas' skin as it rapidly blew through the air. Vaas let out a roar, tossing Katerina to the floor so that she fell in the sand, taking a disgusting mouthful of the gritty golden grains as her head skimmed the soft ground. Katerina coughed and chocked, spitting out the yellow grains attached to her tongue, making her gag. She listened as Vaas continued to roar, and flinched to the thunderous explosion of Vaas firing his gun towards the jungle.

With her ears ringing and her head pounding, Vaas snatched Katerina's arm and roughly lugged her to her feet. Katerina glared at the sand, and studied the grains. A small red pool began to flow through the golden soil, and it flowed towards her toes. But, she had no time to analyse the red river in the sand, as Vaas soon lobbed her to the other side of the beach, tossing her dazed body in the jungle - away from the lethal rocketing bullets that penetrated the earth and shattered tree trunks.

Vaas and Katerina quickly retreated to the jungle, where they hid their bodies behind towering ancient trees - taking cover from the several bullets that fired their way. Katerina had collapsed onto the floor, beside Vaas' boots, and sat in the lush grass, bewildered and frightened as she frantically scanned around her. Her eyes finally wandered to Vaas, who quickly reloaded his gun, resting his back against the tall withered jungle tree, grinding his teeth together with a dreaded scowl drilled into his face. He was standing on his feet awkwardly, and when Katerina's shimmering eyes trailed to his boots she noticed that same red river she had seen just a second ago. Her lip trembled, and she looked up and saw that the blood was pouring from Vaas' hand like a shower of red water, and that his hand was clutching tightly onto his leg, above his knee, and that he was shaking. He was hurt! Vaas, the pirate lord, the outlandish fearsome lunatic had been shot at, and they actually got him!

"Vaas your hurt!" Katerina suddenly cried out, with her voice high and crackled from her anxiousness and concern. It was probably a stupid thing to blurt out. He already knew that he had been shot.