Chapter Fifteen - Insanity

Bang! The shrill, chilling echo of a gunshot echoed through the humid air and bounced of the withered wooden shacks in the camp. The air fell silent, as if the whole world had stopped spinning at that moment. Nothing could be heard, there was no wind, no cries from animals – or people – just nothing. Perhaps the world had stood still. Perhaps not.

The vile pirate that had thrashed his repulsive, grimy body onto Katerina and leapt to his feet. He took the bandana that was attached to his belt and used it to wipe his brow that dripped with hot sweat. He stood there, his body hunched and low, timidly twisting the bandana in his fists as Katerina lay beneath him – gasping for breath and holding back her whimpers. Her face was covered in her blood that had even seeped to her neck and onto Vaas’ shirt. Her shorts were tangled around her ankles, trembling and sniffling she lent down to reach for them and shimmied into them, still on the floor, with the dry grass swathing around her legs, pinning her to ground and keeping her locked in an embrace. She refused to look up, and instead glared at the pallid grass, and crossed her arms tightly across her chest.

“V…boss,” the repulsive pirate finally stuttered, still twisting the bandana in his sweaty hands, “erm… I…”

“So, was you unaware of the girl’s situation? Eh?” His voice was sharp and vicious and clearly irritated. It appeared that he was attempting to swallow his anger and try and keep calm as his voice was cracked and shaken – but this was due to fury alone. His voice was definitely imitating. It was frightening, and the look painted on the sweating pirate’s face supported this. Every word, every syllable, was sending shivers up his skin and making his body jolt. Katerina even quivered to the shrill sound of it.

It was Vaas, of course. Katerina let out a shaken sigh of relief once she heard his voice. She had never thought that she would be so glad and grateful to see or hear him – or have him near. She thought that she would always wish to be away from him, not be thankful that he was close by. If he didn’t show up… well, she didn’t even want to imagine what would have happened. Though, she only wished he showed up sooner, but, she couldn’t ask for the world, not in her position anyway.

“Did you not know,” Vaas continued, his tone growing with rage, and it oddly even trembled with minor hilarity, “not to touch other people’s things? Eh?” His temper was escalating, and his voice intensified dynamically, to a point where he was almost screaming at the pirate. He continued, stepping closer, shaking his hand in the air, chuckling as he moved. “More importantly! Did you not fuckin’ know…” his voice was a hostile, livid scream now - a screech that was so frightening, that even the grass began to wither. To Katerina, it felt that the ground was shaking due to the horrific thunder that was his voice. She trembled to the sound, and squeezed her eyes shut, mentally trying to block out the distressing roar. “That no one, not fucking anyone! Touches, my fuckin’ things! I’m sorry, I’m sorry. Did you not fuckin’ now that? Is it not clear to you? Is this fuckin’ gibberish, am I speaking nonsense? Hey? Well fuckin’ answer me you little prick! It will be pathetic to label you as a pirate. Look!” he pointed at him, laughing and waving his hands to the sky – obviously mocking the shaken pirate, “here he fuckin’ is! A pirate! Yes, this is who we should fear, a fuckin’ lump of meat that sweats like a fuckin’ pig, and fuckin shakes when you ask him a simple fucking question! Ha ha! This is what we have! These are our pirates! This is who my men are!” “Is it?” Vaas stalked over to him, like a predator – his eyes growing with hunger and ire – and stood beside Katerina, his hard, striking combat boots beside her shoulder. The shaken pirate stumbled backwards, now, to her relief, further away from Katerina. Vaas looked the pirate directly into his pale eyes and bitterly asked, “Is it? Is that what I want from my men?”

“No.”

“Great, then fuckin’ answer my question!”

“Vaas look, I’m so, so, deeply sorry. I didn’t know that the bitch was yours.”