Chapter Three - Promise

Towering black trees stretched their dark thorny arms towards each other. The rocky road waved through a grand archway, of branches and ebony leaves. The air was silent, seemed calm but felt restless. The grey grass swayed swiftly in the breeze and the moan of the wind whispered through the trees. The cars decelerated, only the artificial lights brought light to the perilous path up the steep hills.  Though the night was cold and dark, the shimmering stars still glistened brightly in the sky, and the silver moon gleamed, projecting a beautiful blue glow through the trees.

Katerina peered up to the shining blue orb looking down onto her. She had lost track on how long this barbaric journey was, but the moon had not been out for long, and night had only just awoken.  Vaas crouched down to her, looking up at the moon; he lent in closer to her – grazing his shoulder across her arm. His lips rested beside her ear, she shuddered at the unnerving sensation of his warm breath, and with a grin he whispered “I see I forgot to conceal your eyes.” His words were discreet and chilling – like whispers of a shadow. He tilted his head to glare at her face, and her eyes snapped to his direction. “You should thank me for my gratitude,” he purred “this way, you got to marvel at our moon.”

Katerina now turned her head to look at him. Her eyes locked onto his for a moment, but suddenly they flashed to the ground and he realised a deep chuckle. “Submissive you are not, I see.”

Her eyes flashed back up to his rigid, vindictive face; parting her lips and inhaling deeply, she sternly said “no. I am not.”

“That can be easily… reformed.”

Her eyes widened and quickly she snapped her head away, glaring at the back of her bound hands. He chuckled and reached his fists into his back pocket.

“I’m afraid,” he whispered, lifting a red rag to her eyes, “that you cannot be perceived as anything other than a captive.” The cloth touched her eyes, and she gasped as he swiftly tightened the material into a not at the back of her head. His hands brushed insolently down her arms, as his hissed in her ear, “my captive.” His lips burrowed into her pulsing neck, and his teeth scuffed across her velvet skin. She fidgeted in his grasp and shook her arms and shoulders vigorously. With a quiet chuckle he let go and stood up leaving her.

They reached a camp. A vast camp, overrun with savage men armed with weapons, dressed all in similar clothing – a red shirt, black army pants and grey combat boots. Perhaps a uniform of some sort? The eight captured youths in the two trucks were not the only captives here. Here a lot of men dressed in red tossed poor men and women into wooden cages, as if they were animals for the slaughter, or some were strung up by rope and attached to archways and shafts, and some were trampled and tormented, hurled into the dirt, before being herded into cages like the others.

“Right men!” Vaas called, jumping out from the truck “you know what to do with the swine.”

One by one the new hostages were led through the camp, deeper and deeper inside - suffocated by the sounds of gunshots and whimpers. Two men lifted the man Vaas had had previously severely beaten, and followed the trail. Vaas stood near the entrance, watching his hostages being shoved harshly inside his camp, resting his finger on the trigger of his gun, ready for any disturbances.

“Vaas, what of this one?” Carlos, held Katerina by her arms, who wriggled in his grasp, hauling her wrists in the tight rope trying to break free. Carlos was the only one left with Vaas, and he stood in front of him waiting patiently for a response.

Vaas snapped his fingers and held out his arm, still clutching onto his gun in other hand and pointing it down to the dirt. Carlos flung the girl to him and ambled inside the camp. The girl seized the opportunity, the one second were no had hold of her. Unable to even see where she was going, she darted away, her hands still bound tightly together. Vaas laughed, catching her harshly by the arm and tugging her backwards. She yelped and squirmed in his arms.