Chapter Eleven - Awakened

Katerina awakened, and her face shrivelled with agony. Outside it was still dark; the air was biting and cold. Did she get any sleep at all? What time was it? With her fist she rubbed her eyes that were still wet with tears, wincing at the excruciating pain in her foot. Once she moved her face she stiffened to the stinging pain in her cheek. Day one and she was already battered and scored – going great.

Vaas was still lounging on his bed – one arm slung over his eyes and the other hanging off the edge of the bed, with his fingertips grazing the wooden floorboards. Katerina glared at him for a while, watching for any brash movements that he might randomly make. But Vaas was still, like the calm water, breathing slowly and heavily against his arm.

Katerina moved her eyes away from him and scanned the room anxiously. For a while she glared at the table, behind the treacherous stream of glass, her eyes scanning back at forth, from Vaas and to the table and then back at Vaas again. Digging her nails into her palm, she held her breath and burrowed her fists into the floorboards, squeezing her eyes shut as she slowly rose from the floor. She balanced on her heels and yelped silently, clawing at the wall as she whimpered in pain – tears trickling down her cheek and falling to her breast. She took one step, delicately treading onto the rough wood, but even stepping lightly caused the excruciating pain to claw callously at her flesh, making her muscles ache and her skin burn. She yelped, falling to her stomach, catching herself roughly by her arms.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Vaas groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose and rubbing his face with his rough hand.

Katerina sat up, wincing and clenching her teeth together as she hissed through her teeth, pain filling her body as she moved. With her shaken hand she brushed the hair from her face and looked up at Vaas with fretful eyes that swelled from tears and shined like silver. He sat up, growling as he brushed his fingertips through his hair, exhaling deeply as he glared at the nails in the floorboard.

"Are you going to fucking answer me?" he snarled, standing up and glaring at her from above.

"I wasn't d…doing anything," she stammered, her lip trembling as she lifted her head to look at her capturer, "I was seeing if I could stand."

"Why?" His voice was serious, it was a bark – a vicious scold that frightened her. His severe low tone sent a chilling, abysmal shiver through her body. "I asked you why," he barked again, growing impatient; snapping his head to her direction.

"I..I… I just wanted to see how badly my wounds were."

"Liar."

"I'm not…"

"No, no, no, no!" he barked, crouching down besides Katerina, who stumbled backwards onto her elbows, quivering to the warm gust of Vaas' breath against her skin. "Don't you know not to lie? It's a stupid fucking thing to do. Gets you into all kinds of trouble that you don't want to fuckin' be in." "Plus, have I ever told you that I'm not a great morning person?"

"Well, I haven't been here for very long." She stammered her voice dry and shaken.

Vaas chuckled, snatching a strand of her hair and twisting it in her fingers, "are you suggesting that you want to stay for a while? Eh? Are you enjoying my company?"

"I…I… no."

"No?"

"No."

He chuckled again, standing up and studying her like a painting – something that pleased but also amused him. His hand rushed to his head, and he slowly traced it down his face, stretching his skin and rubbing his eyes with his fingers. "Stand up." He ordered in a severe monotone.