Chapter Fourteen - Water Jugs

As Vaas opened the door, the yellow light from outside shined into Katerina's golden orbs, blinding her for a few seconds, until she adjusted to the light contrast. Gosh, it's bright! Katerina thought, as she eagerly peered outside, I guess it shows how dark it is in here. Fucking hell Vaas needs more windows in here. Or a better light at least. Katerina gently bit down anxiously onto the side of her lip, trying to avoid the gash engraved in her flesh, and squirmed anxiously on her feet – movements that a child would do when hungrily awaiting the rewards that their parents or guardians had promised to fetch for him or her. She continued to bob up and down, giving Vaas' back a piercing, irked glance. Rolling her eyes she thought in frustration, Ugh, can you just move out the way? Please? Please, please Vaas just move, you're blocking the sunshine with your stupid fat head! Well… it's not a fat head. Far from it. I guess it's not stupid either. Ugh, shut up Kat. Vaas, can we go please? Please? "While the sun is still shining."

Katerina froze, and clamped her mouth shut – her hazel eyes wide and wary. You never speak your thoughts aloud Kat, never, never, never! Fuck! Why do I have to be so stupid? Great, he's not going to let me go out now, I'm going to die in here – in the dark. He's going to shut that door and never let me see the sunshine again, and then I'm going to die. Die from dehydration and starvation because it's highly likely, no, almost definite, that he won't bring me anything. He will leave me with nothing because I'm so ignorant and impatient. Fuck, why must I blurt out everything I think? Why am I such an idiot! Bye sun! Bye cruel life! No, fuck you life! You did this to me, you fucking bitch! Damn it, I really wanted to go out! No, I really need a drink. Please, honestly, I'm going to shrivel up and die if I do not get some water. Fuck!

Vaas' shoulders trembled from his low, growling laughter, and then his head turned, and he glared at Katerina with jest flooding in his hypnotic, brown eyes. "What?" he chuckled, stretching his mouth into a wide grin – bearing his crystal white teeth. Katerina gloomily peeked up to glimpse up at him. She raised an eyebrow slightly once she began inspecting his teeth. How? She mused, completely oblivious that Vaas had just asked her an important question, his teeth! He's a pirate, not fucking Simon Cowell, how on earth can his teeth be that white? How can they be that straight? Imagine it, Vaas, the pirate lord of Rook Islands, having braces when a kid. That image makes him seem more normal, but how on earth are they so perfect? I don't even think my teeth can compete with his. Great... now he'll snarl at how my imperfect my teeth are.

"Hello!" he called, – his voice bouncing with amusement – snapping his fingers in Katerina's face, "you in fuckin' wonderland there?" She flinched and shook her head, blinking several times to return herself to reality. Bashfully she glanced back up, with her lips barred together.

"Now, where you trying to provoke me chica?" he whispered with a scornful sneer, "or was you just trying to be funny?"

"None. I… I don't even know why said it, sorry."

He chuckled once more, shaking off his shoulders and leisurely stepping outside, and trotting haughtily down the uneven wooden steps of his shack. Katerina smiled, secretly, as she swiftly scurried behind him, trying her hardest to keep up with his quick movements. Her arms wrapped securely around the plastic carton she had hugged to her chest, and she kept her grip tight, like a mother with her child – this was the one most important thing to her right now, remember, she desperately needed that water.

The fresh humid jungle air surrounded Katerina like steaming hot water from a bath, relaxing her aching muscles and unblocking her clogged mind. She felt good to finally be outside. Katerina scrunched her nose and stuck her face in a discreet scowl as she glared at the floor. She felt a sickly sort of comfort to be close to him like this, she felt that she was safe, and that she was protected when he was beside her – no other pirates would harm her this way, as he was their leader and he made it clear that she was his. Was it wrong for her to feel that way? She shook her head vigorously. Of course it was. Why was she feeling these outlandish, contemptible feeling towards the man that harmed her? She shook her head again. There were no feeling. She only felt safe around him – in a strange, peculiar sort of way. That was all. She sighed, I better not be developing fucking Stockholm syndrome. If I am I'm fucked and might have to shoot myself.