Chapter 31

Chapter 31

It was the middle of the second period. The Rangers had scored twice. The Penguins were down by one.

Crosby had the puck. He took it down to the Rangers' zone. He was alone. No one was around him. They were trailing behind. The only thing stopping Crosby from getting a goal was Lundqvist. Lundqvist was in the net protecting it from Crosby. Crosby slapped the puck with his stick and it flew toward Lundqvist. The goalie wasn't quick enough. The puck went into the net and Crosby threw his arms in the air.

The crowd was on their feet, including Chris and me. I was cheering and jumping up and down. Now the game is tied. We could still win this. One more goal and I'd be happy. Two or more goals and I'd be ecstatic.

"Yeah! That was brilliant!" I exclaimed. The guy next to me, David, starting chuckling. "What's so funny?" I asked as I sat back down.

"You're accent. It's not very common at these games. I mean, you just said brilliant. No one here says that," he explained.

I shrugged. "I can't help who I am. I don't think about it."

"I get it."

I turned my attention back to the game. Crosby was on the bench and Malkin took his place on the ice. I don't know who had the puck. It was one of the Rangers, but I couldn't see his jersey. It didn't matter who it was, though. Kris Letang came up behind him and slammed him into the glass. The puck was free.

Letang passed it to Sutter and he took it down to the Rangers' zone. Before he could knock it into the net, St. Louis came out of nowhere and pushed Sutter into the glass. St. Louis took the puck and brought it out to neutral ice before Kunitz stole it from him. Kunitz took it back to the Rangers' zone. Crosby was back in the game, he took the place of Sutter. Kunitz passed it to Malkin. Malkin passed it to Crosby. Crosby paused to shoot, but Dominic Moore knocked him off his skates.

The referee blew his whistle. Crosby got up and started arguing with Moore. They were near the goal now and Kunitz was backing Crosby up. Malkin was close by. The refs were trying to break up whatever was going on, but they failed miserably. Lundqvist got angry and picked up his water bottle. He sprayed it right in Crosby's face. Now, he's crossed the line.

I got out of my seat and started banging on the glass. I wasn't the only one. There were a few people older than me yelling too. Chris, David, and Dylan remained seated and watched as I screamed at the goalie.

"What the hell was that you bastard?! Did Sid hurt your feelings or something so you decided to get him back? Are you bloody serious?"

I could feel people staring at me. I know how out of place I might look, but I couldn't care less. I love this sport and I was going to support my favourite team.

I banged on the glass again. "God damn it! You're such a fucking cry baby!"

Chris quickly got up and covered my mouth. I bit his finger so he would let me go. Surprisingly, he didn't. Instead, I peeled his hand away from my mouth. I turned to face him.

"What are you doing?"

"Ellie, calm down. The referees are handling it. You don't have to curse at the goalie, who can't even hear you, to make it better," he said.

I sat down in my chair and crossed my arms over my chest. I heard David and Dylan chuckling. What's so damn funny?!

I looked out on the ice again. What I saw didn't surprise me one bit. Kunitz had his helmet off and was fighting Lundqvist who also had his helmet off. He's sticking up for his captain again. I knew I always loved Kunitz.