Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Our plane landed about a half hour ago. It took us a while to get out of the airport, but we eventually did. It's almost three in the morning, but I'm not tired at all. Neither is James. I don't know what we're going to do while everyone is sleeping. I don't even know where we're going. Simon sent a car to pick us up, and now we're driving to our unknown destination.

I laid my head against the car window and shut my eyes. I'm not tired, but it helps me relax. I'm not particularly in the best shape. I mean, I'm going to see the boys again after almost a year. What will I say? I still don't know if I've forgiven Harry and Louis yet. What if I can't? Yes, I know they had good intentions for keeping it from me, but I still had a right to know. I had a right to know who my birth family was.

There was soft music playing on the radio in the background. I hummed along with it as we drove. We've been driving for about a half hour now. Simon said it would take at least an hour to get to wherever we're going. The boys probably won't be there. They're most likely still asleep. At least I know Zayn would be asleep. Nothing in the world seems to wake that boy up. Simon will be there. He's the one who called the car for us in the first place.

James sat next to me in the back seat of the car. I was trying my best to hide my nerves from him, but I don't think it's really working. He would glance over at me every ten minutes or so. He's probably worried about me. After everything I told him, he understands why I didn't choose One Direction as my first choice. James cleared his throat, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Are you okay, Ellie? You don't look so good," he said.

I nodded. "I'll be fine. I'm just nervous about seeing the boys again."

"Well, I can see that. You're as pale as a ghost and your hands are shaking."

I looked at my reflection on my phone screen. Since James was right and my hands were shaking, my phone shook around like we were in an earthquake. James was right again, though. My skin was as white as snow. There's no hiding my nerves now. I set my phone back on my lap before speaking.

"I'm okay," I said.

James didn't look like he believed me, but he dropped the subject anyway. He turned his head to the other side and watched buildings pass outside of his window. I laid my head back on the window next to me and closed my eyes. I let out a deep sigh before humming along with the music again.

Another half hour passed and we were pulling into a parking lot. The driver parked the car and got out. In front of us was a smallish gray building with glass double doors. There were a few other cars in the lot but not many. Not any I recognized either.

James and I got out of the car and followed the driver. He was pulling our bags out and setting them on the pavement. James handed me my bags.

"Here. Go inside. I'll be coming in a minute," he said.

I nodded before obeying his orders. I picked up my bags and made my way over to the glass doors. I walked into the building and found myself alone in the lobby. I shrugged it off and set my bags down by a chair. I sat in it and pulled out my phone. I unlocked the screen and pulled down my notifications. Nothing. I locked the screen again and slipped the phone back into my pocket. James soon walked in carrying his own bags. He saw me and smiled before setting his bags down next to mine.

"Where's Simon?" he asked, looking around.

I shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe he's in the loo or something."

"Stay here. I'm gonna go find him."

James left the room and once again I was by myself. I wonder if the boys are here somewhere. Well, I know Harry and Louis aren't. I didn't see either one of their cars, but they still could have came with Liam, Niall, or Zayn.