Chapter 21

“I understand your anger,  but before you say anything those two boys are fans of his, they've had these tickets for months.  They don't know anything.” She responds meekly,  but I am not blinded, I know the plan she's made, and I'm ending it now before it even starts.  Colin does not need this woman trying to ruin his life again.

“That's neither here nor there if they know he's related or not, you know what I'm talking about.  What gives you the rights to be here while you plan to  blackmail your own flesh and blood for your own personal gain?!”  I'm getting very close to her,  like Colin she's tall a good half head above me,  but I'm in lioness mode, my mate has been threatened and I'm on the attack.  “Were you going to confront him here? Did we ruin your plans walking into the coffee shop? Is that why you contacted Bruce and Tony?”

“You don't understand,  you don't get what happened in the past, it was stupid and selfish.  But I'm trying to make those two boys life better.”

“What are you even doing here.” My hackles rise, my tone similar to that of an iceberg, my back stiff, I'm very aware of what I must look like right now, and I'm hoping it's as dangerous as I feel inside.

“As I said those two are fans, they have no idea. On anything from past to present.” She tries to step back as I move into her space, even in my heels this whole family is tall she still stands a good half foot taller than me, but my anger is overflowing and she seems easily intimidated even by my small stature.  

“Don't know what exactly? That they are talking to their brother or that you are trying to extort your eldest son for your own unscrupulous plans? Instead of being an adult and making it on your own you figured you'd try the easy way out, continueto be the selfish one?” My voice calculated, calm and I'm ready to protect Colin at all costs, even if it's detrimental to myself. 

She coughs and tries to change the atmosphere and warm up the ice flowing off of me “I think we got off on the wrong foot.  I can see you care about my son. And. .”

“Don't call him that.  You may of given birth to him, but you are no mother. You discarded him when he had nothing to give you, when you should have been there for him you walked out on him.  Now he's made something of himself and here you stand?” I snap, cutting her off my eyes flashing fury. She steps back and the man beside her puts an arm around her “Miss you are very much out of line.”

Nichole puts her hand on his chest, “No Tiemus. She's not.  She's just protecting hers. I understand that.” She looks at me addressing me “I'm just trying to do the same. Protect and provide for those two boys.” 

I'm stepping closer to her “No, what you are planning is detrimental to your eldest, to him, you did your damage, I highly recommend you do one of two things.  Cut ties or try to fix your mistakes. But this attempt to blackmail him for money isn't going to make any of your relationships any better.”

She sighs, “I understand that's how it looks.  But after yesterday I know he wouldn't talk to me, listen or help.”

My jaw goes slack in astonishment “Help?! You. Abandoned. Him. As a child not much older than the eldest one over there.  I may not have been abandoned and I know about poor mothering, but what you did is inexcusable.  You cannot expect him to welcome you back with open arms and be happy to be back in your life.”

“But, I'm his mom, and what I did was for the best for him. Look at how well he has done for himself.” I laugh and it's so strained no one can mistake the anger in it.  “You want to take credit for his accomplishments. He's a stronger person than you ever give him credit for, because of you yes he learnt life is violent and you know that he can be damn hard because you made him that way.  But you cannot take credit for his talent, or the man he is today.  He raised himself and did a damn good job doing it.”

Nichole's eyes tear up, but I'm not falling for the victim act.  “I did what I thought was best for him. Things were complicated for us to start with, I did the best I could with the little we had, then after we lost Josh, he should have been watched…”

“Oh, don't pin that on him either, if you'd been a mother he'd probably be alive today.” I'm going to far, but I don't care, she needs to feel pain and with the amount of people around I don't care hit her though I'm sure pr could make me feel better to feel her face connect with my first. 

Her breath catches “You have no right to say that!” her voice breaks and I feel like I should feel bad for her, but my brain is just not capable of feeling pity for this woman standing in front of me.

“No? So you mean to tell me that if you hadn't been hitting on some guy while your 4 & 7 year old played in the park trying to score your next hit Josh would of still died?” I stand and cross my arms holding my anger in, she's not getting away from me. “Do those boys even know about him? Who he is to them?” The way she averts her eyes, and the catch in the man's voice beside her means she's holding more secrets.  “I didn't think so.” I shake my head.

“Nichole, I suggest you grow up.  Start being responsible for your own actions, you owe it to this new family of yours to do things the honest way.” I start to turn away from them and turn back, my anger still breathing fire through my soul “And I highly suggest you withdraw your threat to expose his childhood and extort him, it would not be a wise decision.” I stalk away from her in anger and walk towards backstage, my body is vibrating and I need a stiff drink. 

When Colin comes to the dressing room, his eyes hard and closed off of emotion, I sigh pouring a shot from the bottle of rum in my hand. I pace the dressing room, I can't read his thoughts, his face shut down. 

“What did you say to her Amber?” his voice weighed and biting.