Coffee Shop

Today was just like any other normal day. I woke up, got dressed and left my flat at 9:00 am and headed straight to my favourite coffee shop. On days when I don't have any lectures, I always go to the same coffee shop to do my work as I just seem to concentrate better there for some reason. I walked through the front door of the coffee shop at 9:30 and my presence was made known by the bell ringing as I opened the door. I stood in line at the counter and waited to order. Once I has gotten my iced caramel macchiato with soy milk I headed to my usual table at the back of the shop. It was a small table tucked away in the corner which I liked as I had minimal chance of being disturbed by other people. I pulled my laptop and textbook out of my bag and began to get to work.

At around 10:30 am I looked up from my laptop and noticed that the coffee shop had gotten incredibly busy. It usually didn't get busy until around 11:30 at which point I would leave before the dinner time rush began. All the tables were full and as a result, people were getting coffee to take out instead. As my eyes scanned the room full of people they suddenly made contact with the most captivating brown eyes I had ever seen. They belonged to an incredibly stunning young women dressed casually in a bright multicoloured jumper and a pair of knee-length baggy shorts. We held eye contact for what seemed like an eternity as I admired her until my brain suddenly caught up with what I was doing and broke the gaze immediately. I looked back at my laptop screen as I felt the heat rise up my face and I just knew that my cheeks had turned a deep shade of crimson red. I forced myself to read the words on the screen in front of me but they made no sense at all as my mind was thinking about the absolutely stunning women standing only metres away from me. It took all the power I had not to look back up at her but soon my strength ran out and I just had to look. My eyes rose from the laptop screen and up to where she had been standing but she was nowhere to be seen. I sighed as I finished scanning the room which she was no longer in. My heart rate slowed as I turned my attention back to the words in the textbook beside me. All of a sudden I felt a hand on my shoulder. I quickly turned around in my seat to find the owner of the hand. I looked up to find the girl that was stood in the line only a few minutes ago. "Erm...Hi." I said removing my headphones from my ears in order to find out what she wanted. "Hey, do you mind if I sit here?"
"Yes. No, erm, I mean yes you can sit here if you want." She just smiled smugly at me and set her cup down on the table in front of me as I internally cursed at myself for being so stupid and embarrassing. This girl clearly knew the effect she had on me by the look on her face. "My names Hayley by the way." she said holding her hand out in front of me in order for me to shake which I did and said "I'm Y/N."
"So Y/N, what are you doing." she said gesturing to the laptop in front of me as she took a small sip of her coffee but then immediately placed it back on the table as it must of been too hot for her. "Oh just an essay that's due in this week." I replied.
"What's it about?" she asked.
"Erm, just about the debate about whether behaviour is determined my a persons biology or influenced by their environment." I told her, slightly unsure why she wanted to know. "So you're studying Psychology?"
"Yeah."
"So you want to become a Psychologist?" she asked while stirring her coffee but never once taking her eyes off mine. "Well, hopefully one day." I replied.
"Do you come here a lot?"
"Erm, most days. It depends on if I have to go to class or not. You?" I replied slightly tentatively as I was unsure about why she was giving me the third degree. "I have, but only recently through. I just came in here once a few weeks back by the off chance and saw an incredibly beautiful girl so I decided to come back and it turns out she comes here almost everyday and as a result, so do I." My heart sank a little as she said that but I asked "Have you ever spoken to her or asked her out or anything?"
"Not until today actually. She's usually busy typing away on her laptop with her headphones on sat on the table in the corner so she's never noticed me and I've never wanted to interrupt her."
"How could you have talked to her today if you have only just walked through the door 10 minutes ago?" I naively asked. Hayley just replied with a smug smirk. I was confused for a few seconds until I realised that she was talking about me. I was the girl. My heart race rapidly increased as I went red in the cheeks again and my eyes looked down at everything around me except Hayley as I giggled softly in embarrassment. I managed to pluck up enough courage to look up at her and I was met with a huge grin that covered her face. "So why talk to me today?" I asked. "Because I couldn't wait any longer and you actually noticed me so I just thought I'd take the opportunity."

We sat there for what seemed like only a few minutes but in reality it we sat there for hours. We drank many cups of coffee as we talked about anything and everything and with each word I became more and more attracted to her.

A/N: I got tickets to see Hayley!! 🎉😍 Did anyone else get tickets to see Hayley on her European tour and if so where are you seeing her?