chapter 27

The doctor told that Alice's operation had gone successful but there was a slight chance that because she had a severe head injury, she could lose her memory temporarily. Alice was not able to recognize Emily. It hurt Emily a lot because she was the only person Emily referred to as a sister. She loved Alice. Her leg was fractured and her arm also had a mild fracture. She had a large bandage around her head. Her beautiful brown hair was gone.

Alice was shifted back home and was treated there by the best doctors and medical staff because she hated hospitals. The moment Alice opened her eyes, she looked around and frowned.

"Oh look, the sleeping beauty is finally awake." Derek taunted her.

"Why am I here?" Alice asked in a hoarse voice.

"Who are you?" She asked Emily.

"You're here because you, my dear sleeping beauty were blown off by a car right outside the office. And this is Emily. You remember, my fiancé." Derek said as he filled her in on anything.

"I'm still feeling groggy, brother," Alice said to Derek.

"You're groggy froggy now. I have a new nickname for you."He teased her. She rolled her eyes playfully. Emily was fascinated by the amount of patience Alice had. The strength to mask her pain with a smile and playfulness.

"I'm sorry, I don't remember you. But why is that?" She said to Emily. Emily smiled and held her hand.

"Dear Alice, it doesn't matter if you remember me or not. But you are very close to my heart. You're my one and only best friend. You don't remember me because you hit your head hard and that's why you've lost some part of your memory. But don't worry we'll help you get it back, okay?" Emily said as she kissed Alice's forehead.

"Brother, it smells awful here. I want to go home. I don't want to stay here." She said making faces again.

"I know how much you despise hospitals but let the doctor check you and then I'll talk to him about taking you home, okay?" He said to her.

"Okay fine! But I need my own clothes. I'm not wearing this stupid gown." She demanded.

"I knew you'd say that so I brought you your favorite shirt. Is it okay, Alice?" Emily said as she showed her the baby blue t-shirt.

"Yes thank you, Emily. That was very thoughtful of you." Alice replied. Emily helped Alice change into her clothes and helped her to sit by adjusting her pillows.

"Ahhh...thank God. This feels so good." Alice commented.

"Yeah, I know," Emily replied with a chuckle.

"Where's mother? I haven't seen her." Alice asked Emily.

"Derek sent Maria back home. She stayed awake all night. Her health would weaken if she stressed a lot." Emily replied.

"I've made you all go through a lot of stress, haven't I?" Alice asked Emily.

"No, you haven't, groggy froggy. You love seeking our attention." Derek answered for Emily. He handed Emily a sandwich and some water.

"Brother, stop calling me that ridiculous name. I don't like it!"Alice said to Derek.

"Okay okay. As you say, princess." He said as he raised his hands to surrender.

"Thank you for the food, Derek," Emily said as she sat beside him on the couch. Alice had slept.

"Anything for you, Emily. I don't know what would I have done without you? I was going ballistic. You helped me control myself. Thank you so much for being there for me and my family in this hour of need. That's why I love you so much. Because you have such a kind soul." He said as he kissed her forehead.

"I'm so lucky to have you in my life, Derek. Your family is my family too." She said as she kissed her cheek.