chapter 8

The pizza arrived in the next 30 minutes. They ate the pizza in peace. They chatted comfortably while having their dinner. Derek enjoyed her company a lot. It was rare for him to have a woman's company for such a long time. He always had Rosie with him in his office but there was something special and interesting about Emily that intrigued him.

He felt comfortable talking to her. He was definitely going to enjoy being friends with her.

"Are you free tomorrow, Derek?" she asked him.

He was still fiddling with his pizza. He couldn't finish his dinner and ended up giving up on trying to eat it.

He looked up from his plate and clasped his hands in business like manner.

"Yes I am since its Saturday," he answered.

"I was thinking if you could accompany me to do some grocery shopping with me. But only if you don't mind," she said nervously.

"Of course, I'm free tomorrow so we can go for grocery shopping besides I have to buy some supplies too. So I think it's going to be a good trip," he replied with a smile.

The next morning, Emily came to pick Derek for their shopping spree. She was dressed in a baby blue T-shirt with a winking smiley with a black pair of jeans. She completed her look with her favorite pair of sunglasses and sneakers.

Derek looked at her from top to bottom. She looked cute. What was happening to him? Why was he getting so attracted to a girl whom he had met just a few hours ago? He thought.

"Good morning," he said

"Hi" she replied with a wave.

"Well, you look quite nice this morning,"  Derek said complimenting her.

"Thanks, you don't look too bad either. But of course, I look better than you," she said jokingly.

"Oh okay okay. I surrender." He said gesturing surrender with his hands raised.

"Let's go," she said eagerly pulling him forward. She was feeling weird but now she could do nothing. She was feeling weird tingles on her skin. Like the jolts of electricity. The warmth that his skin radiated was too much to decline.

Derek felt the same feelings. He pulled his hand lightly away from her grasp because he didn't want her to feel anything from his side. He didn't want her to be uncomfortable in his presence. He wanted more than just being friends with Emily and it was the first with him. 

He was never interested in any woman like this ever before. He always kept his meetings professional with women although they threw themselves at him. He always avoided women. The last thing he wanted was his name splashed across page 3 or tabloids and that too just because of a stupid good for nothing relationship.

This was a first. He became friends with a girl and now he wanted more from her. He wasn't wishing for anything unethical but he wanted to take things slow in a gentle way.

When Emily sensed him pulling his hand away, it was then she realized his discomfort on such intimacy.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable," she said as she pulled her hand away.

"Its okay Emily. Don't worry. It's just that I've never been as close as this with any woman before except for my mother. Forgive me if you're hurt by my actions." he said honestly.

"No Derek.  I should've been more careful. Anyways, it's a wonderful morning. Let's forget what happened and enjoy our best. Shall we?" she said with a wide smile.

They reached the supermarket that was just half a block away from their place with a beautiful café at its side. They bought all the necessary supplies. Then they headed back home.