chapter 14

"Emily, let's take things slowly. Okay?" He said.

"Derek I said no. And I mean it." She said firmly. 

"Emily, you're so precious to me. I know I just rushed everything but I don't want to lose you. You make me feel things I've never felt for anyone. I feel like caring for you. I feel like protecting you more than my own self. I want to love you. I want you to erase the painful memories from your mind and fill them with good memories. I want to hold you whenever you fall. I want to soothe your pain when you're hurting. I want to be with you every day and night. I want to be by your side when you need me the most.
But it can only happen if you give me a chance. I don't know what happened today at your house or who was the person who did all this to you but I promise you that I will protect you forever, Emily."   He said as he looked into her eyes and held her gaze.

"Derek, I don't know what to say. But I'm ready to give you a chance. I'm ready to give us a chance. I'm sorry." She said as she hugged him tightly like her life depended on it.

"Shhhh... I'm here Emily.  Don't cry. I don't want to see tears in your eyes. If I see tears in your eyes I won't talk to you. Okay?" He said as he caressed her hair.

"I wanted to tell you one more thing." He said loosening his grip on her a little.

"What do you want to tell me?" She asked.

"My sister called me to inform that our mother has invited me to lunch at her place tomorrow."
He said.

"And you are coming with me." He added.

"Derek, are you crazy? Do you think I can meet your family with this busted lip and patched foot? She said as she looked at him as if he had grown two heads.

"Emily, trust me, my mother and sister won't judge you on your exterior. They will love you no matter how you look. They will love you because you're important to me." He said as he tucked her into bed again.  And this time, he didn't sleep on the floor. He slept beside her comforting her throughout the night.

The next morning, Derek woke up before Emily and prepared her a good breakfast. She hadn't eaten much last night too. He wanted her to have a hearty breakfast. He made some omelets, pancakes, fresh orange juice and some toast. He arranged them on a tray and picked a fresh daisy from his garden. He put everything on the tray and went to wake up Emily. 

"Good morning Emily." He said as he removed the duvet off her.

"Derek, please let me sleep." She said and made cute faces.

"Come on lazy daisy, you need to wake up now or we'll be late for lunch. We don't want anyone to think that we were being naughty. He said smirking. He pulled her arm and helped her stand. Then he put a stool in front of the bathroom sink so she could do her morning routine without straining her foot.

"Umm Derek? I don't have my bathroom supplies here.  Can we please go and get them?" She said
"You're not setting foot in that damned house again. Got it?" He said firmly.

"Tell me what you want. I'll bring them to you." He said

"But I'll need my clothes too." She said innocently.

"Okay fine. Get everything you need. There's ample of space here. You can bring everything you'll  need to stay here." He said as he put on his slippers and helped her to her house.

Emily packed her clothes in a suitcase with all her necessities.  She looked one last time at her room and left the house with Derek in tow carrying her things. Her mind still cringed looking at the mess at her house yesterday.

It was 10 o clock by the time they had finished breakfast and putting their things in place. Derek's cupboard was huge enough to house all of Emily's things.

Derek made some calls and answered some e-mails. He looked at the clock on his table, it showed 11:45 a.m. He was late! It was nearly noon and he wasn't even ready yet let alone being on the way to his mother's place. 

He ran to his room to find Emily struggling with the zipper of her dress on the upper back. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw the most beautiful girl standing in front of the mirror.

"Are you going to stand there gawking at me or will you come to help me?" She asked as she sensed his gaze on her back. That took him out of his trance.

"Sure." He said as he did her zipper. 

"Derek, do I look okay?" She asked nervously. Emily wore a tea pink colored knee length dress with full sleeves and a knee length pleated skirt. She preferred full sleeve dresses because she had some old scars on her arms and she didn't want anyone to see them. She wore some comfortable peep toes to go with the dress. She braided her hair on the side and wore a pair of stud earrings.  She wore her mother's necklace and that was all. She didn't use any makeup except a little concealer to hide the dark mark on her lip and some harlot red lipstick to complete her look.

"Okay? Emily, you look gorgeous." He said.

"Just give me five minutes. I'll be ready." He said as he shut the bathroom door quickly and took the quickest shower of the year. 

He wore a white polo t-shirt with dark jeans and his aviators as he slipped on his sneakers. They drove at top speed to his mother's place.