Chapter 17

Derek and Maria were enjoying the beautiful surroundings. They both shared a love for nature and plants, especially flowers. Derek's phone rang and he excused himself from his mother's presence, the moment he realized he couldn't let his mother know what was he up to.

"Stevenson here, yes? What's the update? Any progress?" He fired all the questions at once.

"Sir the car belongs to a 32-year-old Daniel Williams. He was Ms. Emily's ex-fiance. They were engaged a year back but they broke up due to a reason unknown. I tried digging more about this man but there's nothing that can be known about him except that he was in a rehabilitation facility after they broke up for different cases of violence on him. He could be the possible guy you're looking for. Also, he was spotted outside near Ms. Emily's place. That's all for now, sir." The man on the other line spoke briefly.

"Willy, make sure you don't leave a trace. Keep tabs on him and do anything you can to keep him away from Emily. Keep digging more intel on him. I want him by tonight. I'm sure there must be plenty of dirt on him hidden somewhere." Derek answered firmly.

Derek wanted to tell Emily everything but he couldn't just tell her right away or she'll panic and get afraid. He didn't want that to happen. He came back to his seat. Maria was watching him. He could feel her gaze on himself.

"Derek, son, what's wrong?" Maria asked concerned as she scooted closer to him to comfort him.

"Mother, Emily didn't have an accident yesterday, she was assaulted. It was Willy on the phone. He called me to inform me about the details of the owner of the car that I saw in her driveway before all of it happened. She's in danger, mother. A psychologically challenged person who happened to be her ex-fiance as well as after her."He said as he raked his fingers through his hair. He was losing his calm and his mother sensed that. She gave his shoulder a gentle squeeze and quietly went inside to fetch Emily after saying, "You know better what to do now."

On the other hand, Alice was having a great girl time with Emily. Emily felt easy to get on with Alice. She was a carefree soul and cared about next to nothing except family.
"You know Emily? My brother has never had a girlfriend and so I was not only starting to think he was gay but I also had a thought that maybe he had decided to stay celibate all his life or he was a secret monk." She whispered as she clapped her hands on her mouth and Emily giggled like a little girl.

"Emily?? Emily???" Derek called out for her.

"We're here! In the music room, Derek!" She replied.

"Can we have a moment, Alice?" He asked Alice. Alice nodded and left the room as he held Emily by her hand and made her sit on one of the chairs in the room. He pulled out a chair and sat in front of her. Emily searched his face for any possible traces of what was bothering him. He looked upset.

"Why were you looking for me, Derek? Is everything alright?" She asked as she kept searching his eyes for any hint.

"Emily, I want you to stay here with my mother and Alice tonight. I'm going out of town for an urgent piece of work and I want you safe. You'll be safe here with them and you don't have to worry about anything." He said

"Why am I not safe at home, Derek? Why do you want me to stay here? What's wrong, Derek? Tell me. Talk to me." She said as she held his hand for comfort.

"Because your ex-fiance is hunting you down. It was him yesterday, Daniel Williams, wasn't it?" He shot at her. His tone was harsh and although he didn't want to use that tone with her but he couldn't control his anger.

"Yes, he was the one who came yesterday. But how do you know he's hunting me down?" She asked confused.

"I looked at the CCTV footages from outside my home and sent the number of the license plate of that car to a friend who is the best private investigator I've ever met. He was digging Intel on Daniel and he found that he is out on the run for you. He visited your place today but thankfully it was locked and he couldn't get in. He will continue to look for you. That is why I want you to stay away from home until this mess is sorted out." He said as he kissed her forehead.

"Derek, I understand. But I can't stay here and put your family in danger too. He is psychic. He can go to any extents to get what he wants." She said as she tapped her nails on her knee. It was so distracting. Derek moved his gaze away from her tapping nails.

"Emily, you will stay here. No further discussions on this topic. I'll bring your stuff over before I leave. Is that okay?" He said as he stood up and pulled her up with him.

"Okay, Derek. Do what you want. I trust you. Just never lie to me." She said as she walked forward towards Alice who was sitting a few feet away from the music room.

"Alice, Emily is staying with you for a few days. I'm going out of town tonight. I'll be back soon. Till then you can have fun with her. Behave yourself." He said as he let Emily's hand go.

"Sure brother. I'm delighted!" She said as she hugged him and he kissed her forehead.

"Keep me updated. "He whispered as he let go of his sister.

"I'll go get your things," Derek said to Emily.

She nodded and went with Alice to her room. Alice was given one of the guest rooms closest to Alice's room. It had creme colored walls with large French Windows that opened in a balcony. The view from the balcony was exquisite. The whole Stevenson estate grounds could be seen from here. The room was not too big or overly decorated but had a homey look. The bathroom was also quite nice.

Emily knew she was going to love staying with Derek's family. It was a new change in her life and a big one.