Chapter 4

Derek was looking for a new house. He wanted to live somewhere private and away from the paparazzi who were always at his back like a leech. Being a Stevenson was not easy.

It was his sister, Alice, who was the Stevenson sweetheart of the media. She handled the public reputation of the family and company with professionalism.

Alice was the apple of her brother's eyes. He loved her dearly and played the role of a father figure after their father passed away.

He dialed a number on his phone. The phone kept ringing and Derek was getting frustrated. Alice was always lazy for telephone conversation. Derek redialled her number again.
She picked the phone in a sleepy voice, "hellooooooo? Who's this?"

Derek knew exactly what her sister was doing. She was sleeping and she may have been awake more than half of the night to be sleeping at this time of the day. It was 11 am.

"Alice!  What's wrong with you that you're still sleeping at this time of the day? When will you grow up?" Derek flashed imaginary anger in his voice. He loved scaring Alice with his anger because she really feared it. Everyone feared it. Derek got angry rarely. But if he did, you should keep a hiding place in sight. His own family feared his anger.

"Uh oh! I was working on one of my projects so I slept really late you know." She answered back with a yawn.  She knew she was in trouble.

" As much as I am angry at you, I want you to come down to my office. I need you to show me your face in an hour. I would prefer it if you make it in time for lunch." He said authoritatively.

" Yes, brother. I will be there." Alice replied obediently.

Alice got out of bed and got ready to make her appearance in her boss's office. Alice was as professional as Derek or any other Stevenson was. They were taught professionalism from a young age. It was ten minutes to noon. Alice was thankful to everything in the universe for enabling her to make it to the office on time. Alice went to see her brother boss. Rosaline was in her usual place.

" Good day to you Rosaline. Is Mr. Stevenson inside?" Alice asked as she stopped by to ask if Derek was seated in his office.

"Good day to you too, Miss Alice. Yes, the boss is inside and waiting for you." She said as she rose from her seat to answer her.

"Oh okay. I should get going then. Let's not keep the boss waiting. You have a nice day." Alice said with a smile as she knocked upon her boss's office's door.

"You too," Rosaline replied with a smile as she sat back at her desk to resume the work she was previously doing.

Knock knock

It must be Alice. Derek thought as he straightened his clothes.
"Come in," he said as he relaxed back on his chair making a steeple of his fingers.

Alice peeked her head from around the corner.
"Good day. I hope I'm not late, boss." She said with a small smile as she stepped in front of her brother boss.

"No, you're not. Ms. Alice, don't you think you should be fired for dropping in this late in the company?" He said to her with a plain face.

"Sir, I am not an employee here. I don't work at this company. I work for this company with my own free will. It's my choice if I come or not. So I don't think it matters at all if I come early or late or if I don't come at all." She started clearing her point in front of her brother.

"Okay. You may do as see fit but first have a seat so that we can proceed with the agenda that needs to be discussed quite urgently. And watch your tone while you're talking in front of me as your boss. As your brother, I can ignore the way you just stated your point but as a boss, I can't." He said as he dismissed her rising temper. She took the seat opposite his desk. After they were finished with their work, Derek went out to lunch with Alice.