chapter 7

"Mr. Derek, I was born in a very troubled household. My mother and father worked in a factory. I was a mistake they made so I wasn't very welcome. Being an only child, I was the center of all their pent frustrations after money. After some years, they died in a car crash leaving me alone. I spent most of my life in an orphanage and I moved out of there when I turned 18. I worked hard to feed myself and to pay for other necessities of life until one day I met an old lady in the park." Emily started.

"She was alone and very rich. She wanted me to live with her since I was jobless and homeless at the same time. I gladly accepted her offer. Well, she got sick and passed away leaving this house and a fair amount of money in my name. She didn't have any family so she named me as her next of kin. Despite the fact that I don't want to take anything from her but if she herself would've been here, she'd be very upset with me. She loved me like her own and I was also quite fond of her. But everyone thinks I am a gold digger. But I can swear on anything that's holy that I never knew she was planning to leave any of her things in my name until her lawyer contacted me after her funeral. So that's my story." she said wiping a few tears that had escaped her eyes.

"Ms. Emily, I am really sorry because I forced you to remember all those things. But I see that you're much stronger after what you have gone through," he said as he offered her a box of tissues. She wiped her face.

"You tell me something about yourself," she said she said as she sipped her drink.

"Well, I don't think there's anything interesting about my life," he said shrugging off the question.

"Mr. Derek, you made me talk about what I wanted to forget so badly. So I don't think it's fair to do something like that," she said

" And please stop calling me miss. I feel very old when you call me that. I'm not your boss or someone. she added rolling her eyes.

Nobody ever rolled their eyes at him. It was rude to roll eyes at somebody or so his tutor had always told him. But he found her eye-rolling very cute.

"Okay. So I am the eldest child of the two children of my parents. That means I have a beautiful sister. My childhood was not something a child should wish for. Despite having everything, I didn't have a father. He was always my mentor, my guide but never my dad. I missed my childhood. It's funny how I'm talking to you about all these things because I have never talked about these things to anyone." he said

"Its okay Derek. I'm not forcing you to tell me anything, okay? We can talk about anything else." she said sensing his discomfort.

"Let's have something to eat first. I'm literally starving. Any suggestions?" he asked her to change the topic.

"Yeah okay. Anything you like." She said.

"Pizza would be fine?" he asked

"I haven't had pizza in a long time. So I think I should order pizza. I like cheese pizza. You?" he asked her.

"Are you serious? You haven't eaten pizza for a long time? I'll take cheese pizza too." she said to him as if he was saying something wrong.

"Emily, its because I don't eat out. I cook for myself and because I'm a bit tired today so I ordered food from outside," he said with a smile.

"Its okay Derek. I don't mind," she replied.

While they were waiting for the pizza, he asked her something which she feared.

"Umm Emily, are you... I mean do you have anyone in your life?" he asked nervously. He was nervous for the first time in front of anyone.

"Not that I know of. But why did you ask me that?" she asked

"Can we be friends?" he asked abruptly.

" Yes," she said as she turned a shade of red. She was blushing.

" Then I suggest you stop calling me Mr. Derek." He said smiling at her. 

"Same for you." She said with a smile that made his heart flutter. 

"Here, cheers to our friendship," Derek said as they toasted their newborn friendship.