chapter 10

Emily's behavior taking him by surprise at every minute during the evening. He was surprised because he was finding it too easy to smile at her funny remarks. He couldn't help the traitorous smile that formed itself on his lips.

"Alright. It's getting late. I should get going now. Thank you so much for being such a wonderful host to me, Derek. The dinner was amazing and it was lovely spending time with you. I don't know where the hours flew by." Emily said as she got up to leave.

"I think you should stay for a few more minutes, Emily. I don't have people over at my house every day. It was lovely to get to know you. It's not every day that I find someone's boxes perched up on my doorstep." He said

"Well, now you can get yourself used to of me coming over to your house because I loved spending time with you." She said as she stepped on the other side of the threshold.

"So..... bye. Have a good evening." He said as he put his hand forward for a handshake.

"Most of the evening's gone, Derek. " Emily said as she rolled her eyes at him.

Did she just roll her eyes at him? If she did. She was the first one.

"Yeah bye. Once again, thank you very much for everything that you've done for me, Derek." She said as she leaned over to give him a kiss on the cheek as a token of gratitude.

Derek was taken aback. No one aside from his mother and sister had come close to him like this. He inhaled her exquisite flowery perfume as her soft lips landed on his cheek. He felt something. It was strange for him to feel because she was just a friend. But it was clear that he was falling for this girl with shining hair.
"Good night, Derek." Emily waved to him as she left his doorstep and started jumping like a happy child with lots of candies towards her home.
"Good night, Emily. "He said with a nod.

"Take care, my dear." He said to himself as he locked the door behind him and went to his room.

"My dear?" Where did that come from?

That night he stayed awake for the longest time in his life. Usually, he slept around ten o clock but today it was close to midnight and he wasn't the least bit sleepy. He felt like Emily took with her his peace of mind. After turning and tossing around for more than half an hour sleep overcame Derek and he slipped into the comfort of blissful sleep.

The next morning, he went to his office but today he was inside the office complex a minute before 9. Today he had a few meetings. But he was smiling more today. He was happy and it was all because of a certain blonde who had consumed his thoughts. He shook his head to clear his thoughts as a knock sounded at his door.
He adjusted his clothes and replied with a faint "come in". Rosie popped her head from behind the door.
"Good morning sir, your coffee." She said with a smile
"Yes, bring it in," he replied.

A few moments later Rosie entered the office with a tray on which rested his coffee.

"Your next meeting is in 15 minutes, sir." She said as she left the room.

Derek drank his coffee as he thought about Emily again. He wanted to give something to her. A gift.

It was the first time in his life he was confused about something as simple as a gift. He needed help. He had an idea. He took out his phone and opened Google. He searched for some gift ideas for women and found flowers as the most popular gift for women.