One Hundred Twenty-Seven & One Hundred Twenty-Eight

PART ONE HUNDRED TWENTY SEVEN

I wandered up to my room, Marnie snapping the door shut behind us. The pair of us were sharing that night, and then Marnie was in charge of getting me ready the next day with the help of a couple of the other girls.

“So… How you feeling?” she asked me.

“Right now? Wide awake.”

“I figured,” she grinned, going to one of her bags and dragging out a bottle of red wine.

“You want me to have a red wine hangover for my wedding?” I asked her skeptically as I eyed up the bottle.

“We’re not going to get plastered,” she sighed, “Why do you have no faith in me?”

“Sorry,” I shrugged, grinning. She knew that I was always a bit skeptical of her antics, it was only natural.

“Oh! Before I forget… Give me your phone.”

“Sorry?”

“I don’t want you secretly texting lover boy,” she said.

“I’m not allowed to see him, I can text him all I want,” I argued back.

“Jessica quit being difficult!!” Marnie exclaimed, snatching my phone from me.

Being stripped of my phone was hard for me. It was the last little bit of control I had over things, and all of a sudden it was gone. I felt helpless.

“Just relax,” Marnie laughed, passing me a coffee mug full of red wine.

“It’s hard.”

“You can do it,” she laughed, sitting cross legged on the bed.

We sat there for hours, sipping wine and laughing about random things. A lot of our conversation revolved around stories from our childhood, running wild at the estate.

“Remember that secret passage down to the wine cellar?” Marnie laughed.

“Freddy locked me in it for four hours,” I frowned.

“You screamed and screamed and he couldn’t hear you!” Marnie grinned.

“Yeah it took your mum figuring out that I’d gone missing for you to remember that I’d been locked in there.”

“Whoops!” Marnie grinned.

“We had a fantastic childhood here,” I sighed, laying back on my bed.

“We did,” Marnie agreed, “Would you bring your kids here in the summers?”

“My kids?”

“I mean, assuming you and Aston have kids.”

“Why are you assuming that we’d have kids?” I asked, leaning up on my elbow.

“Why wouldn’t you?” Marnie retorted. I gave her a faint shrug, laying back on the bed. “You and Aston would make fantastic parents you know.”

“Really?” I asked.

“Yeah,” Marnie said, “You’re just the perfect balance of fun and serious. And you both are blessed with incredible genes.”

“Hmm…” I sighed, “Well assuming we did have kids, which I’m not saying we will, I think I would like to spend time here.”

“You will,” Marnie laughed.

I rolled my eyes, laying back on the bed. I was finally starting to feel tired, which was good since it was after midnight now and I had to be up early the next morning to start getting ready.