Sixty-Five & Sixty-Six

PART SIXTY FIVE

*Jess’ POV*

I sat behind the wheel of the car, my heart pounding hard as we sat parked in front of my family's estate. I actually really hated driving, and again I was on the verge of tears. 

“Babe relax, we’re back now,” Aston soothed.

“I just need to catch my breath,” I sighed.

“You did great.”

“Oh my god,” I muttered, “I just drove a car. What the hell happened today?”

“No idea,” Aston smiled, leaning across the shifter and kissing my cheek, “Thanks.”

“For what? I broke your arm!”

“No you didn’t. I was an idiot,” he replied.

“But…”

“You drove a car for me,” he said, “I’m proud of you.”

“Oh my god,” I repeated, “I drove a car.” Just thinking about it had me in a state of shock. And I hadn’t just driven it down the lane we lived on. No I drove it far.

“Let’s go in,” Aston said, pushing his way out of the car. I followed after him, my body starting to finally calm itself down. I was in need of a hot drink and a comfy sofa, and maybe a few cuddles.

“JESSICA REGO WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!” 

I was startled by the shout, my mother coming storming down the walk of the mansion.

“Oh shit,” I muttered.

“Jessica! What are you doing behind the wheel of a car? Why was the house unlocked? And why the hell were two of the horses saddled up with no one around?!”

“Long story,” I sighed, shrinking away from my mother back towards Aston.

“You have some serious explaining to do!!” she said, pointing at me aggressively. I was 26 but getting told off like a kid.

“I made her drive me,” Aston said, holding his arm up to show off the cast.

“Oh dear, what happened?!?” my mother screeched, sweeping down the path up to Aston and inspecting his cast. She was a surgeon after all!

“Broken,” he shrugged.

“How?”

“Horses,” I explained, grimacing. I knew I was about to get an ear full from my mother. She was always on us about being safe around the horses, and now one of my guests had been to hospital.

“No wonder,” my mother sighed, “Jessica you should have called me!”

“Sorry,” I said, “I was a bit of a mess.”

“Well your Dad has gone to get the saddles off the horses, why don’t you take Aston inside to rest,” she said.

“Ok,” I replied, grabbing Aston’s hand and walking into the house. I sat him down in the lounge we’d spent the evening in the night before, passing him the remote control for the TV as I wandered off to put his painkillers in my room and then to make two cups of tea.

“Thanks,” Aston said, taking the cup from me as I went to join him.

“It’s alright,” I said, leaning my head on his shoulder affectionately. I felt horrible about everything that had happened.

We sipped our tea and watched the TV in silence. I was on the downward spiral from how dramatic I had been and was absolutely exhausted, and I could tell Aston was seriously feeling his painkillers because he kept nodding off.