Twenty-Nine & Thirty

PART TWENTY NINE

“That works,” I mumbled to myself, staring into the mirror in my closest one last time before I wandered down the stairs to my kitchen, taking a sip of the beer I’d left on the counter as a bit of a pre-going out drink. I just had to get a cab down to Jess’ and then take it back into town for dinner; I could have a drink or two in me.

Just as I finished off my drink my phone buzzed, indicating the cab had arrived. I climbed in, messing about on my phone as we drove down to Chelsea. It was becoming a relatively regular trip for me, I knew the route like the back of my hand.

Arriving at Jess’ I was buzzed up to her flat, only to find her sat in her kitchen with Marnie, sipping cocktails and chatting. She was already dressed, though I couldn’t really tell what she was wearing because of where she was sat.

“Drink?” Marnie asked, standing up and heading to the fridge.

“Just a half of one. Probably shouldn’t make the cab wait too long,” I said.

“No worries, you’re still paying him so he’ll wait a bit. Jess, while I’m thinking about it, go get those shoes you were talking about. I want to see how they look with your outfit,” Marnie said, turning to her flatmate. I watched Jess climb up from her seat at the breakfast bar, my eyes bugging out of my head slightly. She had on a silver crop top that shimmered when it caught light, and a tight black bandage skirt that started just wear the crop top ended. With her hair teased out a bit and her make up a bit more exaggerated than normal I hardly recognized her. 

“Where you going tonight?” Marnie asked me as Jess went off to her room for a minute.

“Dinner and then a club.”

“Which club?”

“No idea, my bandmate Marvin organized everything,” I shrugged, “Don’t worry, I’ll have her home at a reasonable hour.”

“No! Jess needs a real night out, if ya get me,” Marnie winked. I smirked lightly at this, pleased to see that I wasn’t the only person that thought Jess needed to lighten up. I couldn’t help but stare a little bit as Jess wandered back out of her room with a coat, a bag and a pair of glittery silver heels in her hand… that skirt was mighty short. 

“Those will be perfect!” Marnie said.

“You think? I was just going to go for black,” Jess replied, eyeing up the shoes.

“No, wear those,” Marnie insisted.

I watched as Jess set her things on the back of the sofa and then bent over to pull the heels on, a lump forming in the back of my throat when her top slid up enough to reveal her bare midriff, her backside up in the air for all to see.

“You can’t wear those,” I said, clearing my throat and shaking the image of Jess’ bare torso out of my mind. I seriously needed to distract myself from staring.

“What why?” Jess asked, her eyes wide with concern.

“You’ll be taller than me!” I joked, hoping that I’d lightened the mood for myself. I needed to get these weird thoughts out of my head. Seriously, where had they even come from?!

“Shut up, I’m practically taller than you without heels as it is!”

I just flashed a smile as she shrugged her coat on and then went to the kitchen to finish her drink quickly. Looping her arm through mine she said goodbye to Marnie and then dragged me out the door. Right before it shut I caught Marnie winking at me, hinting that her flatmate could definitely use a good night. Again this thought clouded my brain with indecent ideas... a good night, huh?