One Hundred Seventeen & One Hundred Eighteen

PART ONE HUNDRED SEVENTEEN

*Aston’s POV*

“Do I have to wear this?” Jess moaned as she held up the t-shirt that Freddy and his wife had given her for Christmas, with ‘Auntie Jess’ on the back.

“Come on,” I said, “It’ll be a laugh.”

“Says the guy with a shirt over the top of his.”

“I don’t want to draw unnecessary attention,” I defended, “I’ll take the shirt off once we’re in the hospital.”

“Yeah right,” Jess mumbled, wandering into the en suite to get changed.

Headed back to the hospital the next day with a few gifts for the new family, I could tell Jess was on edge. She’d done well not to totally freak out over being an Aunt the day before, but now that it had set in a bit, I wasn’t sure how she’d hold up.

“You ok?” I asked her as we pulled up at a light.

“Fine.”

“You look a bit green,” I said.

“Sorry,” Jess replied, taking a deep breath.

“What is it?”

“Kids freak me out, you know that.”

“Yeah but why?” I asked.

“Same as everything else,” Jess said quietly.

“Which is?”

“You’re going to drag this out of me now?” she asked with a sigh.

“Well…”

“Commitment,” Jess replied simply, “It’s always commitment.”

“But you’ve kind of gotten over that,” I said, grabbing one of her hands in mine and squeezing it gently.

“Yeah,” she said, “But I still have reservations about some things.”

“Not me I hope.”

“No, not you,” she said, turning and brushing her free hand behind my ear as I pulled into the hospital car park.

“Come on, let’s go in,” I said.

“I’m shocked,” Jess said, still in her seat, “Thought you’d want to have this out.”

“I know you pretty well,” I replied, “I think I can guess the rest.”

“Which is?”

“Work and commitment. Fears and hesitations. And so on…”

“Ok, yeah you’ve got it,” Jess grinned, pecking my lips quickly and then pushing her way out of the passenger side of the car.

I slid out and locked up, the pair of us heading back into the hospital hand in hand. I had my arm around Jess’ shoulders and I couldn’t help but feel my stomach churning a bit by our conversation. It wasn’t that she was telling me things I didn’t want to hear or that I didn’t know already. It was more that I kept hoping she’d change her mind. We were so close to our happily ever after and I just wanted her to see that there was nothing to be afraid of.

We sat in Hilary and Freddy’s room for a  good hour, chatting to them as Gabe slept peacefully.

“We were up most of the night, not gonna lie,” Hilary said.

“Sounds rough.”

“That’s parenthood.”

“I suppose,” I replied. I looked over to see Jess sat next to her brother, signing away. Hilary would join in from time to time, laughing at whatever they were saying. Hilary was fabulous with sign language, having learned it for her work with deaf children. She’d met Freddy at an event for a charity and they’d hit it off. I was always impressed that she could see past the handicap and be happily married to him.