Seventeen & Eighteen

PART SEVENTEEN

I stood staring at myself in the full-length mirror in my walk-in wardrobe, fixing my bowtie slightly. It was finally the night of the charity event, and I was shitting it just a tiny bit. Mostly because I pretty much had never taken a girl out in the public eye since the band had taken off. I was nervous! 

My phone started buzzing from my bed, meaning that the car was here. Management had sorted out some sleek cars to transport us to the event, and I was off to go pick up Jess at hers before heading to the red carpet.

“Ok, phone… wallet… watch… Think I’m ready,” I muttered to myself, running my hand over the top of my short hair one last time.

“Let’s do this,” I sighed.

I skipped down the stairs and made sure everything was locked up before heading out to the awaiting car. I had a bit of a ride ahead of me, heading from my place in North London down to Chelsea to get Jess before heading back into Central London for the event. 

After sitting in traffic for a while, we finally made it to Jess’ flat. Excusing myself from the driver, who parked up on the corner, I went to go collect Jess.

It was weird, being in that position where I was buzzing the doorbell at her flat. The last time I’d been here I was meant to be picking up her flat mate!

“Hello?” asked a voice. Not Jess.

“Hey, I’m here for Jess,” I said, cringing as I had déjà vu a bit.

“Come on up,” the voice replied, buzzing the door open.

I climbed the stairs of the building; luckily remembering which flat was hers. Everything was exactly as I remembered it. Knocking lightly on the door to her unit, I was surprised when it was suddenly flung open and a plump cheery looking blonde girl opened it.

“Hi,” I said awkwardly.

“Aston hi!” she said, “I’m Marnie!”

“Oh Marnie, hey,” I said. This was like my worst nightmare. I was hoping I’d never meet this girl who had stood me up. It was just so awkward, and even though she been totally cool setting me up with Jess, I felt like a total dick about it.

“Jess is just putting her handbag together, don’t worry,” Marnie winked, letting me into the flat.

“Oh haha,” I said, internally smacking myself for that comeback.

“I’d offer a drink, but I’m sure you want to get going as soon as she’s ready.”

“Yeah, thanks though,” I replied.

“Not a problem,” Marnie said. She stood and studied me for a minute, making me feel uncomfortable. “You two make a good match,” she said after a minute.

“Well…”

“You’re clearly a laid-back, fun loving guy,” Marnie said, cutting me off, “I mean, wearing grey to an event like this!”

“Is that a bad thing?”

“No,” Marnie replied, a twinkle in her eye, “Just not very traditional. Jess is used to being very traditional, it might do her some good to break free of that a bit.”

“I guess,” I replied.

“Hey Aston,” I heard Jess say from behind me. I spun around quickly, my breath catching in the back of my throat. I knew I wasn’t supposed to feel anything about this girl, but she looked drop dead gorgeous in her dress. It was long and teal, the main body of the dress a very simple shape with a v-neck and an A-line skirt. It had lace detailing around the bust and on the shoulders, with a dark teal belt synching everything at her waist. It was very classic.