One Hundred Fifteen & One Hundred Sixteen

PART ONE HUNDRED FIFTEEN

*Jess’ POV*

My eyes snapped up to meet Aston’s. “This is happening now?”

“Yup, let’s go!” Aston said, grabbing my hand and dragging me towards my parents who had equally shocked expressions on their faces. “Have you got a car?” he asked them calmly.

“I’ve got a hired driver, yes,” my Dad replied.

“We’ll meet you at the hospital then,” Aston said with a bright smile.

Next I was dragged over to Jeremy, in a total daze.

“What’s up you two?” Jeremy asked as he took in my shocked look and Aston’s enthusiasm.

“Jess?” Aston prompted.

“My brother is having a baby,” I mumbled, “Well, not him. His wife. Now.”

“Oh wow, congrats!” Jeremy said, “You two must be off then?”

“Do you mind?” Aston asked.

“Not at all,” Jeremy grinned "Bring pictures!"

They boys gave each other a quick handshake and then Jeremy pulled me in for a quick hug, thanking me again for my work on the campaign.

As soon as I was released Aston had hold of my hand again and I was being dragged out of the office and out to his car.

“Shit there are a lot of paps,” I muttered.

“They know we’re here,” Aston smirked, “Haven’t gotten their ring shot with us together yet.”

“Shit!” I hid my hand in my coat pocket, following closely behind Aston with my head down. If it were any other night I would have let the picture happen, but not this one. This night was like an explosion of all of my anxieties all at once. The election. The baby thing. The press.

“You want to drive?” Aston asked as we got to his car.

“You’re fucking kidding right?” I spit out.

“Just trying to keep the mood light,” Aston laughed, opening my door for me and then going round to his side.

I didn’t realize until I was clipping my seat buckle into place just how much I was shaking, how hard my heart was beating, how my breathing was incredibly ragged.

“Jess it’s fine,” Aston said, flicking on the radio and pulling out of his parking space, “If I’d known any better I would have thought you were the one in labor.”

“Shut up!” I snarled.

“You’re so predictable!”

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, leaning my head back on the seat back as I tried to even out my breathing. I wasn’t exactly sure why I was having such an anxiety attack, but I was.

Aston made good time to the hospital and we quickly parked up, running hand in hand up to the reception. With a smile and a few words, Aston had the ward number and was dragging me down long white hallways.

“Hold on,” I said, stopping right outside the door to the appropriate ward.

“What?”

“I just need to take a few breaths,” I said.

Aston put both of his hands on my shoulders, his eyes searching mine. “It’s fine,” he said, “Everything is good.”

“I know.”