35: Strong

" excuse me for a while, while i'm wide-eyed
and I'm so damn caught in the middle "

Daenerys and I reconvened at Longtable, where the Mander forked. Aylward stayed back to command the northern half the army. Their job was to push the Lannisters back down to open fields. I wouldn't risk any damage to Bitterbridge or the surrounding farmlands. A small contingent of Oakheart men was being sent from the west. But we'd sent most of them up to Casterly Rock with supplies for the Unsullied.

"We have more than enough men," I said, glancing over the Dothraki army. Most were sharpening their weapons, or caring for their horses. "Perhaps we should leave some back."

She frowned. "I promised them a fight, and a fight they will have."

"If we let Rhaegal and Drogon loose on the Lannister army; it won't be a fight, it will be a massacre." I glanced over at her, though she didn't turn to look at me. At least I'd convinced her to leave Viserion to guard Dragonstone. "Lead the Dothraki on Drogon. I'll monitor the Bitterbridge situation and then come back once I'm sure everything is set."

"The gold stores of Highgarden rightfully belong to the Reach," I continued. "They won't carry it through Bitterbridge, at least not all of it. If I can find the other half, I'll present it to the Oakhearts as a sign of goodwill." Daenerys hummed in response, obviously unconcerned with southern allies. I rolled my eyes as I turned away. "I'll see you on the battlefield."

I mounted Rhaegal, and returned to Bitterbridge. From above I could watch the Lannister army approach the bridge. Soldiers poured from the covered bridge, standing their ground. The red-clad soldiers retreated, south down the Roseroad. I flew on, searching the surrounding area for a wagon, but it was nowhere to be seen.

They must have sent the gold north. The Lannister-controlled Goldroad would be the safer route into the capital. If they'd headed that way straight from Highgarden, they would be long gone by now. There was far too much land to cover between here and there. We'd have to take the loss.

I made my way back to the river crossing where I'd left my sister. I could hear the sounds of battle, long before I could see it. The battle cries of the Dothraki mixed with the terrified wails of the army. As I neared the clearing, I could see the smoke. Black billowing clouds carrying ash, obstructed my view from above. I searched the skyline for my sister, but saw no sign of Drogon. I swept closer, fanning back smoke with Rhaegal's wings. All I could see was fire, and burning bodies, and ash. It was terrifying.

Finally I spotted the black dragon near the river, but Daenerys was not on his back. I leaned forward, coaxing Rhaegal on. Then I spotted a flash of silver-blonde hair. My sister was on the ground, pulling a spear from Drogon's side. All around her Dothraki fought the remaining Lannister men. No one had noticed the Queen was on her feet.

I swept in a circle, keeping an eye on her. I spotted Jaime at the same time he spotted my sister. "Don't do it," I whispered. He charged toward her, spear out. Below me, Drogon lifted his head. I edged forward, and Rhaegal dove toward the ground, turning up at the last moment to catch Jaime with his wing.

He was thrown from his horse into the river, and I landed Rhaegal a few feet away. "I had that handled," Daenerys shouted, her brow furrowed in confusion. I pretended not to hear.

"Everything alright?" I called back.

She nodded, waving the spear she'd removed. I waited until Daenerys was on Drogon's back and watched them take off into the skies again. Then I climbed to the ground and ran toward the riverbank. Jaime hadn't surfaced. "Oh, you damned idiot."

I turned, searching for a familiar face among the carnage, when a sword was swung in my direction. I darted away just in time, unsheathing my own sword, preparing to fight. "Desmera?" The man shouted, before I could attack.