6: I Followed Fires

" there's a devil at your door
and he grows, he grows
so I been told he had a heart of gold
and it grows, grows like a storm
"

"Catelyn sent me for you. She was in the tent when Renly was killed," the servant told me. "They're blaming her."

"Catelyn would never do anything like that!" I protested.

"I know, milady. She and Lady Brienne are leaving for Riverrun immediately, you must go with them."

"Mina, you could come with me," Margaery said, stepping in front of her servant. "Loras and I will go back to Highgarden. You could come with us, you would be safe."

"We're friends, Margaery, but you know I can't do that. I have a duty as future queen, and I have a sister out there. You could come back to Riverrun with me."

"The midst of a war is no place for me. I cannot stand on the sidelines of a battle every afternoon, while I drink my evening tea." The disgust was clear in her voice. It was easy to forget how different we were, when we lounged in her quarters drinking wine. She was a Southerner, I was a Northerner. She was strong in her own way, but I was called to action.

"My lady," I heard from behind me. I turned to see Renly's friend and soldier.

"Ser Aylward," I said with a nod.

"Many of the King's banner men are already pledging themselves to Stannis. I have no interest in betraying my friend, whether he is alive or dead. Renly wanted me to protect you on your journey and I pledged to Catelyn that I would. If you'll have me, I would like to pledge to you my eternal protection for as long as you may desire it."

"That's very generous, Ser. Do you not have family or loved ones to go back to?"

"I haven't had a family in many years, my lady. I wish to finish the last task my King left for me. I will not leave him for his brother before his body is even cold."

"Then I accept your offer, and I am grateful for your protection, Ser."

"We must leave Storm's End at once. As soon as Stannis arrives, he'll want you brought to him as a bargaining piece."

I turned to face Margaery again. "My friend, I'll miss you."

"We've only known each other for a few weeks, but you've become like a sister to me."

"I'll see you again, Marg."

I hugged her tightly. Aylward touched my arm and beckoned me down the hall. "It's time to go."

"Good-" Margaery started but I silenced her.

"Best friends never say goodbye."

Aylward took my arm and hurried me down the dark halls. We met up with Catelyn and Brienne at the gates. Catelyn hugged me. "Thank you, Ser Aylward, for getting Amina away from there." He nodded. "Now come darling, I packed as much as I could gather quickly." I nodded and mounted my horse, Myst.

"Let's ride," I said. "The sooner we reach Riverrun the better."

OoOoO

I stood in the garden again, though this time there wasn't a single person around. My sister appeared from behind one of the trees and walked towards me. "Amina," she greeted me.

"Daenerys," I said.

"Jorah told me about you. He said he's heard stories about you, although he didn't know you were a Targaryen. He thought my sister was dead."

"I was under the impression you were dead as well, I guess that makes us even. Where have you been all this time? I would have come for you had I known you were still alive."