23: Broken Crown

" but in this twilight, our choices seal our fate "

The Water Gardens were eerily quite when we returned. I had always found them peaceful, but now they felt deserted. Aylward walked me to my chambers. As soon as I walked in the room, I knew something was wrong. I reached for one of the knives on my belt.

"Drop it," a lilting voice said in my ear. I couldn't see her face. But, I recognized Tyene Sand from her voice, as much as from the knife she had pressed against my throat. I let go of my knife, and held my hands up.

I glanced out the corner of my eye to see that Ellaria had Aylward in a similar position. It was almost humorous how she had him bent backwards because he was so much taller than her. I considered my options. I could take Tyene in a fight, but the Sand Snakes were known to coat their blades in poison. I wasn't sure I could fight her without getting a single scratch.

"What do you want, Ellaria?" I asked finally. "You think Doran is going to give you another chance after you threaten his guest?"

"Doran is dead," Tyene spat. "We've taken Dorne."

"Does the rest of Dorne agree with that?" I asked. "Because last I checked, most of them were preparing to rebel against the Crown behind me."

"They still can," Ellaria said. "Oberyn liked you, Amina. As do I."

"You have a strange way of showing your affection, Ellaria."

"Let her go, Tyene." Her daughter reluctantly let me go. I wiped her spit from my ear. Ellaria slowly let Aylward go. His hand went to his sword.

"Stand down, Aylward," I told him. "I assume you have a proposal for me?"

"Support our coup, and Dorne will continue funding your war." She shrugged. "Simple, really."

"Why should I back you?" I asked her. "Trystane is the rightful Prince. You have no claim."

"Trystane is no longer a part of the equation," Ellaria said.

"Nym and Obara saw to that," Tyene added.

"And Myrcella?" I asked.

"She paid for her family's crimes," Ellaria said. "She sent a message to the Lannisters."

"Myrcella was just a girl," Aylward said. "She had done nothing wrong."

"Perhaps not, but the Lannisters left us no choice. Blood must be paid for in blood." She looked to me. "I will leave you to consider my offer. If you choose to decline, you may leave Dorne unharmed. But know that you will never again have an ally in House Martell."

Ellaria and Tyene left my chambers. I sat down, too shocked to say anything for a moment. "We should leave before nightfall," Aylward said.

"We can't leave," I told him.

"Your grace, I highly recommend-"

"I'm not asking for recommendations," I told him. "She's right. We need the Dornish alliance, without them I have nothing." He started to speak and I cut him off again. "Myrcella was a ray of sunshine, she did not deserve to die like this. Jaime must be heartbroken. I detest what Ellaria has done, but sometimes you must compromise your values for safety."

"The Lannisters will send troops, they will not let this go unpunished."

"War is what Doran was preparing for," I reminded him. "Even if this wasn't the way he wanted to start it." I tilted my head. "Perhaps we have the advantage. The Crown has no way of knowing Dorne is prepared for war. Nor do they know there is a Queen hidden in their midst."