xxiii

Sorn
2:20 AM

This is insane. This is totally insane. Since when did I start feeling like this tonight? At what time and place and why? See, I can't think of Hwitaek as a really, really cute guy I might like because first of all, I don't even know his last name. Second, we met in such unusual circumstances. So, I shouldn't be sitting here in the cab beside him thinking about how cute he is when he smiles. I closed my eyes when he caught me looking and my heart just went crazy I couldn't catch up by its craziness. I thought about how he saved my life and cursed myself silently because it made my heart flutter.

"Sorn," he called. And now he's calling my name and it sounds a hundred times better. "We're here."

I opened my eyes and cleared my throat. "Okay." My voice came out hoarse. I might be the one with vocal nodules here for all we know. I forced myself to get out. We stood in front of the 24-hour noraebang.

"I just told you that was the last time I would ever sing." He told me.

I nodded at him. "Yup, but not me."

His eyes widened. "You can sing?"

"Usually just in the bathroom, but well, I guess I'm a pretty decent singer." I said with a shrug. We ordered instant ramen and drinks and some more snacks.

"Whoa, it's my first time having ramen at midnight." He said, staring down at the ramen.

"Aigoo, you're really unexpected, Hwitaek-ssi." I said and removed the cover of his ramen completely and then I poured some spices and served it to him. "Here, eat a lot while I sing."

He smiled at me. "I'll be your judge."

I picked a cutest song I know at first. I liked that the volume of the instrumental booms through the night. I began to sing with a little bit of jolly dancing. I don't usually do this, but I know it'll make him laugh and I wasn't wrong.

I like you, the way you talk, your face expressions, everything
Your friends, your dog, your hobbies, everything
I wanna be in the same place, in the same time, with you
Every day, I wanna be with you

I ended the song with a cute, cringy pose that Hwitaek bursts out laughing. Since when did his laugh start to sound like music to my ears?

I switched to a sexy song that I regret almost immediately as soon as the lyrics were out of my lips.

Come closer
From where I am right now
I can't see your eyes
Even after several nights
So I can hear you
Tell me you love me

When our body heat touches
When our lips touch
The stars in the night sky
Shine and fall on us

Hwitaek seemed like he was having a hard time digesting the ramen all of a sudden so I poured some water in his glass and gave it to him after the song. My face felt so hot and there were no words spoken between us. To break the sudden tension, I gave him the other mic. "The next song is a ballad." I said.

"Sorn," He said and he gave me the you-know-I-can't-sing-anymore look.

"I know. I swear this is the last time. Really. Sing like it's the last night of your life." I said and he chuckled.

He took the mic from me with a resigned smile. "Fine."

We sang the song together turning it into a duet. It's 좋니 by Yoon Jong Shin and as I sing my part, I could feel Hwitaek's gaze on me. This is not it, Sorn. The mission is to turn his worst night into the best night possible, not to try to impress him.

• •

좋니 ^

songs mentioned in this chapter are:
clc - like
laboum - between us