xv

Sorn
12:20 AM

I rushed to the hospital right after they let me go from the police station. I was panting when I stopped in front of the reception. "I... I need to see Hwitaek." I said.

"What's his last name, miss?"

For a while, I just stared at the staff in front of me, counting my own breathing. I don't even know his last name. Oh god. I turned my back on her and looked around as if I would find someone who had just been stabbed outside.

And then I saw two cops making their way towards the exit. I ran to stop them. "Wait!" I said, "Hwitaek-ssi... where is he?" I asked.

They looked at each other and then to me. Once they realized that I was the reason that guy was stabbed in the first place, they accompanied me to a room. The room where I could already spot him lying on the hospital bed from the small glass window of the door. "Thank you." I thanked them and took a deep breath. I tucked strands of hair behind my ears and opened the door.

The room was also filled with other patients. My nose only recognized the stench of disinfectant alcohol now. I walked towards Hwitaek's bed and my heart was beating in such a slow pace and I could heart it in my ears.

His eyes were closed. I took my time to stare at his face. God. It's like I'm the one who did this to his face. The guilt I feel was heavy. "Hey," I said softly but there was a lump in my throat.

Hwitaek slowly opened his eyes. "Oh, there you are."

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Like shit?" He replied with a small grin, then he cleared his throat and turned serious. "Yah, you—what were you thinking?" He asked with an unusual deeper tone of his voice.

"I'm sorry this happened to you."

"No, seriously, what were you thinking? You could have ran!"

"I thought..." I said, looking around and then lowering my voice. "I thought he was going to kill me."

Hwitaek rolled his eyes and let out a breath. "Yeah, he would have—after he could have raped you!" He seemed to be yelling, but he was also keeping his voice low. He raised his hand to his forehead where a small bandage was put on. "You are so great at talking me out of killing myself and then, there you were. Seriously, Sorn? If you want to inspire people, it should start with yourself."

I clicked my tongue inside my cheek and blinked back the tears. "Yeah, that's why I hate myself even more—because I feel like I have to say those encouraging words to save everyone,  but I can't even save myself. I hate myself for having those words come out of my mouth and yet I didn't, couldn't believe them."

Hwitaek just stared at me. His facial expression had softened. He laid his head back on the pillow and closed his eyes tightly. "Well, I saved your life." He said.

"Yeah," I said swallowing. "Thank you. I mean it."

"And you saved mine too." He said, a small smile playing on his lips.

I smiled back. "Yeah."

"Thank you." He said, "I mean it."

"So, are you... really feeling like shit?" I asked.

"No, I think I can manage. They said I have to be under observation for the next twelve hours."

"That's good. You can take some rest."

"Are you kidding me? I'm tired of hospitals. I need you to get me out of here, Sorn." He said looking straight into my eyes. Oh snap.