xvii

Sorn
1:15 AM

BLUES

I read those words glowing in neon pink and blue. I turned to Hwitaek beside me and looked at him in disbelief, "Let me just make it clear. You almost killed yourself tonight. You almost died again because of me. You escaped the hospitalㅡand now, you brought me to a nightclub?"

He let out a heavy breath but he was smiling. "The night has been long."

"Yeah, I've never had so much happen to me in a few hours."

Hwitaek nodded towards the nightclub. "My previous band is... playing here tonight. I just want you to see how good they are." He said with a faint smile.

"Wait, you're seriously out of the band?" I asked. "Then, let's go. You don't have to do this—"

"Sorn," He cuts off. "I want to." He said softly. "Come on."

He grabbed my hand like it's such a normal thing and we approached the entrance. The bouncer there seemed to recognize Hwitaek as he said, "Oh, right. You're playing tonight."

Just like that, we passed through even though we both looked like a mess. I can't believe the bouncer let him in even if his face was a total wreck with bruises and bandages. "Is it so normal that someone beaten up comes in here?" I asked him.

He chuckled. "Probably thought it's some kind of concept."

We push and pull through the crowd. A band was already performing in front. I put my arm rigidly in front of Hwitaek's injury to keep it safe. People are jumping and dancing like there is no tomorrow.

"That's them," Hwitaek said. "That was my band." The proudness in his voice broke my heart. Why did they kick him out?

I tried to fix my gaze on the performing band but I couldn't help myself from stealing glances on him from time to time. There's a longing in his eyes as he stared at the band, on the stage. People danced to the music with a feel-good sound. "That bassist is Hyojong, my closest friend in the band." He said all their names and their roles in the band and then finally, "That's Jaeyoon. He used to be the second voice of the band. I guess he's doing well."

"So you were the front man?"

He smiled coyly. "I was."

I smiled at him. "I bet you're a better singer than he is." I said pointing at Jaeyoon.

"Don't say that." He said humbly but he seemed happy to hear this anyway. I kept shielding his stomach with my arm. "Since we're in a nightclub, let's go enjoy the night anyway." I said and guided him towards the bar where there were less people dancing.

I'm going to make it a mission to make him feel better before the night ends.