xvi

Hwitaek
12:45 AM

Sometimes we try to save others with no hope of saving ourselves, or sometimes with a tiny hope of saving ourselves too. We just don't want others to feel as miserable as we are to the point of thinking we're better off this worldbecause we know how it feels like.

Those are my thoughts as Sorn helped me escape the hospital. She made me change into different clothes from my duffel bag. It's summer night but I'm wearing a damn hoodie so I could cover my head—not to mention sunglasses too.

"Doesn't this make us even more suspicious?" I asked her and a smile formed my lips seeing how alert she is of our surroundings.

"Just keep quiet, okay?"

The elevator doors opened and my eyes widened once I spotted the doctor who treated me earlier. I wrapped my arms around Sorn, turning my back from the doctors and nurses.

"What are you doing?" Sorn mouthed.

I made a face that I hope she got. Just cooperate.

She blinked her wide eyes. We must really look like we were kissing because the people who got in kept on clearing their throats.

The elevator door opened again. I held her hand and we walked through the halls without having myself recognized.

Finally, we both could breathe again when the summer night air kissed our skin.

Sorn pulled her hand away from mine. She was sweating and her face was red. "Then, what's your plan now? Where are you possibly going at 1 AM?" She asked me.

"I want to show you something." I said.

She raised an eyebrow. "Do you seriously think I would go with you?"

"Oh, come on. We saved each other's lives. You should know by now that I'm not off to kill you."

She took a deep breath. "I guess you're right."

I grinned. "Call a cab."

She rolled her eyes. "Yes, sir."

We stood on the side of the road while we waited for the cab. Once it came, we both sat on the backseat and I told the driver where to go.

I turned to Sorn beside me. "You might want to... fix your hair a little bit." I said.

She touched it self-consciously. "Oh, okay." She said and pulled the hairtie letting loose of her hair. They fell smoothly around her shoulders. She combed it with her fingers and she was about to tie it again when I held her hand to stop her. "Wait," I said.

"What now?"

"Leave it like that." I said and turned my eyes on the road in front of us. "It looks pretty." I added, feeling the back of my neck to my ears heating up.

Sorn was silent for a while and then she cleared her throat. "Oh." She said, "Okay."

There's an awkward silence on our way to the nightclub.