xxi

Sorn
2:10 AM

Wow, I thought, this must be how heaven sounds like.

I definitely know the song. It's All Of My Life by Park Won and I've listened to it several times before but why was it that while Hwitaek was singing, I felt like I was hearing it for the first time?

"Yah... are you okay?" He asked, grinning.

I blinked, feeling suddenly embarrassed. "Well, that was... really beautiful." I said still trying to keep my cool as if I wasn't just thrown to cloud nine by watching and hearing him sing.

He smiled but it was a sad smile. "Well, that's probably the last time I'm ever going to sing."

My jaw dropped. "But why! You have such a beautiful voice. More people, no, the whole world deserves to hear your voice." I argued.

He shook his head with a sigh. "No need to argue, Sorn. The doctor said I can't sing—not anymore."

"Oh."

"Vocal nodules." He said, "I'm afraid—that the voice you just heard might really change forever."

The silence between us came again, but I didn't like the feeling from this one. I looked at Hwitaek and I wanted to give him a big, big hug.

So, this is why his world was crumbling down.

"I thought it was just cold at first. I couldn't get the notes right and my voice sounded scratchy than usual, but it's been going on for weeks so I decided to get checked up. That's when I found out."

"But... but there must be something you can do about it, right? What about the treatment?"

He shook his head and I hated that sad smile of his. Yes, I've made it a goal to keep making him smile through the night but not like this. "But the band can't afford to wait for me that long. They can't stop living their dreams just because of me. And I don't want that to happen either. I don't want to be a nuisance. I don't have to drag them down along with me. Treatment is long and with no certainty that I could ever sing for a living again. I can't... I can't let them wait for me like that."

I sighed as my eyeglasses get foggy because of the tears springing in my eyes. And I thought, Screw it. I'm going to give him a hug.

So, I closed the distance between us and wrapped my arms around him. He's just a little taller than I am. He seemed to freeze at first but then he relaxes eventually. "I was officially out of the band tonight, so, tonight had been the worst night of my life."

I pulled away and searched for his eyes, once I found it, I held it with mine. "Then, let's change that." I said.