Chapter 2: Picking a Car

@Matriox7 my dude! Thanks for the repair shop name! 😁

Mackie left the house almost an hour ago with her dad and her sister FJ. Somehow FJ managed to convince dad to let her tag along. Mackenzie noticed they were driving around Nashville instead of going through it like they normally did to get somewhere. Her dad said it was somewhere on the outskirts of the city, whatever "it" was. Mackie sat in the passenger seat while dad drove toward whatever car place or dealership they were heading towards. FJ sat in the back seat of the family dark navy blue 8-seater SUV and kept asking the usual questions like "Are we there yet" and "Where are we going?"

"Its a surprise," dad would answer. Mackie had her headphones in and was blasting Carrie Underwood country music from her iPod. Thankfully the rest of the drive was a quiet one, then dad turned into the saddest looking car place Mackie has ever seen...

"Riley's Reliables: Auto Dealership"

FJ looked as shocked as she was as they pulled into the parking lot and parked. Mackie pulled her headphones off and looked at the dump they were in; old cars (like really old cars) were lined up neatly in front of what used to be a gas station, but what now a small dirty purple dealership office. Dad smiled as he stopped the car, then grew upset when he saw Mackie's face. The face of disappointment.

"Mackie, I know what you're thinking and I don't want to hear any complaining," he said sharply as he got out of the car. The girls followed him and as they walked toward the "office" they looked at cars and FJ tugged on dad's shirt.

"Why did we come here? This place is kind of a dump," she asked. Mackie smiled to herself, she may not be allowed to complain but nothing said anything about FJ dong the complaining for her.

"Thank you Faith!" Mackenzie thought to herself.

"I got my first car here and your mother agrees that this was the best choice for Mackie's first car too," replies dad patting FJ's head as they entered the little gas station/office building thing.

"Did grandpa get his first car here too?" Mackie smirked.

Dad rolls his eyes and they walked up to the front counter where a man sat smoking a cigar. FJ held her nose and looked at her sister with disgust in her eyes. Mackie nodded her head slightly at her, she hated the smell of smoke too.

"Ah! Welcome ladies and gentlemen to Riley's Reliables, reliable since 1921! How can old Riley help ya'll today," the man says, taking his cigar out.

"Well, my daughter here is looking to buy her first car," dad says patting Mackie's shoulder. Mr. Riley nods his head and stands up. He moves over to Mackie and looks her over and smiles to himself.

"Creep," Mackie whispered softly, so softly that Mr. Riley thankfully didn't hear her.

"I think I know just the car for you, little lady! Stay here folks and I'll be right back!" He says as he rushes out of the building. Dad sits down and FJ sits beside him. Mackie walked up to dad and crossed her arms, and stared at him.

"Dad," she began, "We need to talk. I've spent the last 2 years working my ass off at crappy jobs, getting straight A's, and helping out like insanity! Don't you think I should have better options than those?!"

She pointed to the old cars outside. FJ looked surprised at the fact that her older sister cursed in front of her and dad. Dad grew angry and stared Mackie dead in the eyes.

"We can wait until you can pay for your own insurance and gas when you're 20, does that sound like fun? Be grateful for what you get!" he hisses.

Mackenzie slumps down in a nearby chair as Mr. Riley pulls in with a white and black old 1960 Chevrolet SS. She sighed as she stood up again and went outside to the car with Dad and FJ and made a face at the car; it was in horrible condition! The paint was peeling off really badly, revealing a faded green of what must have been this car's previous color. Mackie went to the driver's seat and opened the door and looked in. Black moldy leather seats were torn up and she could see springs coming out of the styrofoam cushions. If you sat on one of those bad boys, you'd get a spring right up your butt! Literally!