Ch. 16 - Miss Emerald Eyes

< Chapter 16: Miss Emerald Eyes >

♥ Jamie’s POV: ♥ 

My eyes were already open when I heard Jason’s cries go off from the other room. I barely slept last night because I could feel the guilt bubbling up inside me.

I’m engaged, and I kissed someone who wasn’t my fiancé.

How am I going to tell Justin? Do I have to tell him? Ugh, of course I do.

“I’m coming, baby,” I called out to Jason, as I rolled out of bed and began walking towards his room. I bent over the crib and picked him up, kissing his cheek twice before leaving downstairs for his formula milk. After I fed him and changed his diaper, I got into casual clothing and secured Jason on the baby stroller. I grabbed my keys and began the short journey from my house to Phoebe’s. I felt like I needed someone to make me stop thinking all these thoughts. It usually ends up driving me insane.

When I rang the doorbell on Phoebe’s front door, I ended up encountering Ryan instead.

“Hey, watcha doin’ here?” he smiled at Jason, poking his belly a few times. He then stood up straight and looked at me, giving me a sympathetic look. “You miss him already?”

I bit my lip and entered the house, shutting the door shortly afterwards.

Should I tell Ryan?

“Is it that obvious?” I forced a laugh.

“Aw Jamie, you’re not the only one,” Ryan assured me. “I miss him too. I can’t take being far away from the people I care about.”

I looked down at the ground, knowing he was referring to Allison. I placed the stroller where it wasn’t in the way and then gave Ryan a reassuring look. “We all miss her,” I said, knowing he knew who I was talking about. “She was our friend and she meant a lot to us, but I can’t imagine how you must be feeling. I know you still miss Allison, but she’s on a path to a better life and you will be too,” I tried encouraging him.

“It’s just not fair,” Ryan sighed, slightly shaking his head. “People come and go and you never know who you’ll really keep forever.”

“That’s not true,” I countered. “I know I have Justin forever. And I know I have all of you guys. I’m not worried at all. I know we’ll all stick together just like we’ve been doing since children.”

The side of Ryan’s lips raised as he began to smile. “You got me there,” he chuckled. “I won’t lose you guys too.”

I smiled back at him before footsteps from upstairs began to approach us and Phoebe came into view, wearing casual clothing.

“Oh hey, Jamie!” she greeted me with a huge smile. “I just took my morning shower and was thinking of calling you after breakfast.”