Ch. 22 - Meet-Up

< Chapter 22: Meet-Up >

♥ Jamie's POV: ♥

"I'm surprised you're here."

I stuff my hands in the pockets of my jacket. The chilly, outside breeze pushed my hair back gently.

"So am I, Nathan," I frowned. "Now what did you want to talk about? It's getting late."

"Did you come alone?" he asked.

"What.. Who could I possibly bring with me?" I challenged.

"Considering Justin's on tour, Ryan probably would," he shrugged.

"No," I looked down. "My friends are too busy for me right now."

Nathan raised an eyebrow in slight surprise. "Really?"

I sighed. "But I'm not going to go into detail about my problems at the moment."

"Why not?" he leaned against a tree and looked at me with a slight smirk. "I'm interested, quite frankly."

"Who cares." I rolled my eyes and looked up at him. "Can we get this over with? My mom came home today and I already asked her to babysit Jason just to meet with you. Why I agreed, after all you've done? I don't fucking know, actually."

"Geez," he leaned forward. "Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. What's wrong?"

"Why did you want to talk?" I ignored his question again.

Nathan continued to stare at me before he sighed in defeat, turning around and walking.

"Hey, where are you going?" I called after him.

"Follow me."

My body felt tense the minute I left the house tonight. I don't know if it's because of what happened yesterday with Justin, or because for some reason I thought it'd be a good idea to agree to Nathan's terms, despite hating his guts. But I guess the argument with my so-called fiancé pushed me over the edge, and I stopped caring.

If I'm curious as to what the hell Nathan could want, then I'm determined to find out.

After a few seconds of walking, Nathan pulled out car keys and got inside a dark gray car.

"What—... Where are we going?" I crossed my arms.

"Stop worrying so much and hop in already," he threw me a slight smile before closing the car door. I let out a sigh in frustration and got on the passenger side.

"If you're kidnapping me, I'm calling the cops."

"Why would I kidnap you?" he asked in amusement, his hazel eyes twinkling at me. "I love you too much for that."

An awkward silence filled the air between us the minute the words left his mouth. Nathan's eyes widened and he looked away.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to say that," he apologized. "I know you don't like it."

"I already know your feelings towards me, Nathan," I said. "And you know mine. Now drive."

Neither of us said a single word the entire ride. By the time Nathan stopped the car, we were in front of a typical-looking house. One that radiated vibrations and light under the dark, night sky.

"Why.. would you bring me here?" I looked out the window to see a young couple messing around in the house's front yard.

"Ignore them, just come," Nathan said, getting out of the car. I did the same and followed after him. Once inside, music filled my ears and the sound of people's laughter and chatter followed me everywhere I went.