Chapter 4

The next morning, I awake to the sudden alarm of my iPad. Rubbing my eyes with the palm of my hand, I reach for my device to check what the noise was about. A warm feeling takes over my whole body as I read the message. It's from Mitch.

"Hey buddy. R u up yet? Cuz I have something rlly important 2 tell u. Come downstairs once u read this. ;)"

Mitch has something important to tell me! I don't know what it is, but I'm excited! A million different thoughts race through my head all at the same time. There are so many different possibilities of what he could say. Suddenly, I get very nervous. What if Mitch likes me?

If Mitch told me he liked me, I would be the happiest man in the world! I would confess my attraction to him as well, and he would grin widely at me. I would take him in my arms and run my hands through his hair. After standing there holding each other for a few minutes, he would let go of me. I would take his hand in mine and we'd walk over to the couch. He would sit down on the far left side of the couch and I would position myself right next to him, our fingers still interlocked. I would use my free hand to grab the remote and turn on a movie. We would sit in silence watching the movie, but after a while I would begin to yawn. Without saying anything, Mitch would shift his body so that there was space for another person. He would then lean over to me and pick me up, placing me in the space in front of him on the couch, with my back to him. I would immediately turn my body around so that I was facing him, nuzzling my face into his chest. I would be able to feel his heartbeat. For the first time I would feel closer to Mitch than I ever had before, and it would be amazing.

Sadly, it will never happen.

I slowly begin to remember my surroundings, realizing that I just imagined the whole thing. I never told Mitch that I liked him, and neither did he. Suddenly, I am completely snapped back to reality with the ringing sound of my iPad. I look down, only to see a bright light looking back at me.

"U there?"

I smile goofily at the screen, wondering why he asked me that question. I unlock my iPad, only to see another text from him 5 minutes ago.

"Hey buddy. R u up yet? Cuz I have something rlly important 2 tell u. Come downstairs once u read this. ;)"

Oh crap! I totally forgot about his text! I was too busy daydreaming about what he wanted to tell me! I jump up out of bed, running out of the room and down the hall. I run down the stairs, making a loud 'thump' noise for each step I go down. My breathing starts to quicken. I should stop running.

As I slowly walk into the kitchen, the first thing I see is Mitch, pacing around the room. I cough, and he looks up. He smiles widely at me, and I return the favor.

"Hey, you're up! Did u get my texts?"

"Yeah, I came as soon as I saw them. What's up?"

Mitch scratches the back of his head nervously. My palms start to sweat as I notice how beautiful his hair is. I rub my hands together behind my back, hoping he won't notice.

"Have a seat, Jerome." His smile dissapears.

I sit down at one of the kitchen chairs, hiding my hands under the oak wood table. Mitch sits in the chair next to me, twiddling his thumbs in circles.

"So I got a text last night. From someone we both know. I don't know how to react to it, so I want your advice."

"Lay it on me."

Mitch looks up at me with a sad face, but quickly looks back down at his hands. I follow his glance, trying to catch his eyes with mine. He sighs, and positions his chair so that it's facing me. He puts his left elbow on the table, resting his face on his hand. He looks me in the eye, and begins to speak.