Chapter 1

I cringe as I swipe on my new iPad Air, eager to read the next page. I've been reading this Merome fanfiction for ten minutes and I'm already disgusted, but I can't stop. As I caress my finger over the newly built screen, I hear a door creak open. I snap my head up, only to see my best friend's head poking through the opening of the door. It's Mitch.

"Hey buddy. What's up?"

"Nothing much, just reading some fanfiction."

"You actually read that garbage? I thought only teenage girls read fanfiction."

"Maybe I'm a teenage girl, Mitch. Who knows?"

Mitch chuckles at my joke, as he swings the door open and walks over to me. He sits on the bed, reaching for my iPad.

"Nah, get your own!"

"But I wanna read it!"

"You just said it was garbage."

"You know I was kidding."

"Uh-huh..." I fold my arms to my chest as I raise an eyebrow.

"Please, biggums? Just one page."

He gets on his hands and knees and looks up at me with his puppy dog eyes. I roll my own eyes as I hand him the sleek iPad. He smiles at me as he takes the iPad into his hands and begins to read aloud. His voice is as smooth as silk, the voice I've begun to love.

"I carry Jerome bridal style up the stairs as he laughs. Oh, how I love his laugh. I carry him all the way up to my room and throw him on my bed. Before he can protest, I pull my red t-shirt over my shoulders, revealing my bare chest. Jerome's eyes widen at this sight, and he smiles at me. I grin back at him as I get into bed with him. Jerome throws his shirt against the wall as I begin to kiss... Oh god! I can't continue!"

Mitch throws the iPad onto the bed and sprints out of the room, screaming. I break into a series of giggles, gradually getting louder and louder. I laugh until my sides hurt and I can't breathe anymore.

Oh no, I can't breathe anymore.

I grab the puffer on the side of my bed and put it to my mouth. I take a huge puff of air out of the device. After a few minutes, my breathing returns to normal. I smile as I remember the events that just occurred. I spring out of bed and run out of the spare bedroom, closing the door behind me. I continue to run down the stairs into the living room. I loved Mitch's house. It always smelled like him and reminded me of everything we've been through. We've been best friends since 4th grade, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

As I run through the living room and into the kitchen, I hear a scream come from the basement. I turn around and head for the stairs leading to the underground floor. Before I have the chance to go any farther, Mitch springs around the corner with a golden axe in his hand.

"Take that, you dirty stinking bacca!" He yells, as he points the sacrificial axe at me.

I run away from Mitch, heading up to his bedroom. I know exactly how to fend him off. As I run into his room, I slam the door behind me, putting his desk chair underneath the doorknob. I hear Mitch on the other side, banging on the door. Suddenly, he stops. I press my ear to the door and hear Mitch's soft voice. He whispers in a musical tone, "Do you wanna build a snowmaaaan?"

I scream, "NO!" As I remove the chair from the door. Before Mitch even realizes what's happening, I swing the door open and he falls against the carpet. I grab a plastic diamond sword that he had hanging on his wall and point it at him, as he struggles to stand up again.

"No one beats up a bacca with his own axe."

"Alright, fine. You win this one, buddy. But trust me, I'll get you next time."

"I will always trust you, Mitch."