17 | Here In Awa

"Ugh, what was the point in going then?" her brother complained as soon as they got back to the group

"Ugh, what was the point in going then?" her brother complained as soon as they got back to the group. "Guess we can't rely on the Thunder Beast. We're going to have to go into town tomorrow."

As the others talked amongst themselves, Yara sat off to the side and played with the trinket in her hands - it had been a present from Hak.

He said it was so she could remember her first visit to a proper town and the day they had spent together. It was a beautifully handcrafted doll that, according to Hak, bared her likeness; that's why he had chosen it.

It was a moment later when Hak joined her, and he reminded her to not let the others know what had happened with the officials earlier and meeting the strange, green-haired man.

They were noisily walking through town the next day when Hak noticed two officials stationed close to where they were, and he shoved the others into a small alley. Yara found herself squished between Hak and Yona; not only could she barely breathe, but she was also feeling extremely uncomfortable.

Hak motioned with his eyes and Yara struggled to look past him at what he had seen. Realisation dawned on her when she spotted the two officials. This is bad.

Hak moved past them, allowing the others to have more space to move, and he looked out from the entrance to the alley. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw the officials had moved to someplace else.

"Okay, they're gone."

"What was that about?" Kija asked, which earned a shrug from everyone else; they were just as confused as he was.

"Local officials," Hak informed them. "If you're done, we should get out of here."

"Yeah, we do stand out," agreed Yoon, taking in the unique appearances of their group.

"So is the green dragon in town?" Hak asked Kija when they were back on the streets.

"I don't sense his presence anymore."

As they made their way through the city, a girl stepped in front of Hak and stopped him from going any further. Hak recognised her as the girl they had helped yesterday. "Oh! From yesterday..."

"Yes! Thank you for your help." The girl lowered her head in gratitude and she turned to thank Yara, who was stood by Hak's side.

"Is it safe for you to be out here with the officials around?"

"I still have to work, so there's no choice."

"Well, let's go somewhere else," Hak suggested after he felt the curious gazes focused on the trio.

"What! You punched and kicked local authorities!" they all exclaimed when Hak and Yara had finished telling them what had happened the previous day.

"And Yara." Yoon went in front of his sister, with his hands on his hips. "How many times do I have to tell you to not fight? What if you had been seriously hurt?!"

"Bro, I was fine, and do you expect me to stay still when someone is in trouble?" Yara grimaced and rolled her eyes at her brother's nagging. She sighed and relaxed her shoulders, then placed a comforting hand on her brother's arm. "I know you're worried about me, and you're only looking out for me, but I can handle myself. My sword isn't just for decoration. Nothing will happen to me."

"I guess you're right..." Yoon conceded and hugged his sister, his words sounded muffled as he pressed his face into her shoulder. "Just please don't forget that you're my sister, and I will always worry about you."

"I know, Yoon."