14 | Finding Ryokuryuu

Kija rose from where he was resting and said, "I sense Ryokuryuu

Kija rose from where he was resting and said, "I sense Ryokuryuu."

Yoon took out his map and laid it out on the ground, the others poured over it as he revealed to them in which direction Kija had pointed out. "If we go straight, we'll end up hitting capital Saika and Hiryuu castle. So let's confirm Ryokuryuu's location while we take a detour along the mountains."

"More mountains? Ugh." Yara complained from where she sat next to Hak; since the incident in the hidden village, they had gotten closer.

"Stop complaining." Hak flicked her forehead. He chuckled when he saw her cutely pout.

"Let's get going." Yoon rolled his eyes and gathered up the map. He was used to his sister's and Hak's antics and he knew there wasn't much he could do about it.

Yona shouted up at Shin-ah, "is anyone there?"

The blue dragon stood steadily on a tree branch and looked out at the distance, looking for any sign of life. Once he confirmed there was nothing to worry about, he jumped down from the tree and announced his findings, or lack thereof, to the others.

"If there's nobody there, let's go!" Yoon began leading the group as they continued journeying through the wooded area. Kija and the other dragon bonded more as they walked, even if the White Dragon was doing most of the talking.

As the group meandered merrily along, they entered a village. It was desolate and everything, from the buildings to the people, were in ruins. And the smell of decaying bodies and faeces spread throughout the air and greeted the village's new guests. The group blanched and held their noses.

Yara clutched her brother's arm as flashbacks from their past swam through their minds. Yoon removed Yara's arm, so he could wrap his own ones around her and hug her close. He knew how much she was traumatised from their younger years, even if she didn't let it show to other people - he knew his twin sister best.

"This place..." Yona seemed to come to the realisation that for some villager's, life wasn't as peachy as she had first thought when she lived in the castle.

"It was a village abandoned by the general and the king," Kija explained. "This area hasn't harvested crops for years, and there's no water. It's likely because the able-bodied men were all brought to the capital to be trained as soldiers."

"The village we were born in was like this too," Yara spoke up from where she stood next to Hak, who was now the one with his arm around her.

As the group stood and looked at the misery that surrounded them, a coughing sound could be heard close to where they were.

Yona made to go to the man, but Yoon stopped her.

"Don't, you could get sick!" Yoon took out stuff from his bag and walked over to the older male. He knelt down and held out a flask to him. "It may not ease the pain but here's some water and medicine. I also have an apple." He then propped the man up and helped him take a sip of the drink. 

Against his expectations, Yona took the flask from his hands and then she continued helping the man. Yoon smiled at the princess's kindness and he once again inwardly praised her on her love for the people and her willingness to help them. If she was the queen, he was sure that this place would be a whole lot better under her reign.

When the man was feeling a little better and could talk he asked, "are you people from Saika?"

"No, we're travellers."

"I see, then have you been to Kuuto? The new king who has risen, I wonder what kinda person he is? King Il was horrible." The man began to rant about the late king and how he was easily pressured. He then said he didn't aid those who needed the help. 

"It would be nice if the new king is a good person. Is he someone who can bring change to the country..."

Yona wished the man well and tried to fight back the tears that threatened to fall. She had known nothing past her sheltered life; she didn't know who her father really was and now she would never know. It was all becoming a too big a shock for her. She told the group she would be gone for a minute and then she ran off.

Yara woke up from a restless sleep. Remnants of the past plagued her dreams, brought on by the village they had just left behind. Will she ever forget? She doubted it.

She sat by the entrance of the tent and looked up at the stars. She recalled the times when she, Yoon, and their parents would have picnics in the field by their house and look up at the night sky. Now those times were no more. It was true that she was young when she lost her parents, but some memories remained, like they were ingrained in her very soul.

Soft footsteps sounded behind her and Yara sensed a warm body as Hak sat beside her. He brought her into his arms and asked what was wrong.

"Just thinking of the past," she admitted, snuggling closer to him, relishing in the comfort his sturdy arms brought.

"What about it?"

Yara hesitated for a moment and then she began to tell Hak everything; about her past and other things about herself.

An hour later, Hak saw that Yara had fallen asleep and gathered her up, bringing her into his chest. He carried her to his tent and laid her among the covers. After that he got in beside her and once again took her in his arms. He pecked her hair and then he joined her in the land of slumber.

When morning came, they set out to find Ryokuryuu. However, the place Kija sensed was further than they first thought and they walked for countless days. And then finally they arrived at a port city known as Awa.

 And then finally they arrived at a port city known as Awa