3 | Slums Of The Past

Yara walked hand in hand with Yoon over to where the small group of people were talking amongst themselves

The priest, the red-haired princess, and the Thunder Beast stopped mid-conversation and turned towards the twins when they heard them approaching. As they drew nearer to them, Yara and Yoon recalled the moment they had first met Ik-Soo.

[ • Fire Tribes Land / Touka village 7 years ago • ]

Smelly, dirty, cramped.

These were three words among many that Yara could think of to describe the house - if you could even think of this hovel like that - she shared with her younger twin brother. It was just the two of them living here in this slum, ever since their parents had passed away.

Right now, she was lying on the scratchy blanket that both of them shared. It was one of the few precious things they owned: it was a gift from their mother and father. Actually, it was pretty much the only thing they had.

Yara was waiting for her brother to return. Like every other day, he was out looking for food; well other people might look at it as stealing. But to these two it was nothing but survival.

Yesterday, they had only eaten tree roots. There were no raw crops in the fields or even any insects. Yoon would desperately search for food and more often than not he would come home empty-handed, save for bits of the tree root. Frankly, it was better than nothing.

After what seemed like hours, Yoon finally returned home, empty-handed as usual. The only things he had on him were the slight wounds that covered his arms and face.

"Yoon, I keep telling you to be careful when you go out!" The little girl huffed and pulled her brother down next to her. "Look at these wounds." She ripped off a piece of her tatty dress and wrapped it around the wound on his arm.

"Sorry, sis." Yoon smiled and inspected his sister's handiwork. "But next time I'll kill him. I'll be clever and land a quick blow, and they'll die easily." The determination in his voice scared Yara a little. Once Yoon set his mind on something, it was impossible to talk him out of it.

The next day Yara joined her brother on the hunt for food. As they walked down the streets, they kept their sights and hearing sharp. They were looking for a person who looked wealthy and owned some food. It wasn't an easy feat mind you, who in their right minds would willingly visit a derelict town such as this...

As if all their prayers had been answered, a dazed-looking blonde-haired male came stumbling out of an alleyway and walked clumsily in front of them. Even though he seemed quite out of it, just from one look at him you could tell he was a priest. And it was a known fact that priests were quite well off in the money department.