9 | Beware Of Shadows In The Dark

Darkness

Darkness. Sudden darkness.

There was nothing but pitch black coming at them from all sides. It felt suffocating.

"I think the candles on the pathway blew out," came Yara's voice from somewhere beside Yona.

"T-there's nobody else here." Yona trembled slightly.

Ever since that night, the one where things had come crashing down around her, she feared the darkness that went with the night. She grabbed Yara's hand and clung to it for dear life. "What do we do?"

Sighing, Yara squeezed her hand and said as comfortingly as she could, "I'm sure the guys will notice we are gone soon and come..."

Her sentence fell short when there came a sound of soft footfalls, and a person letting out short breaths in front of where they stood. Yara placed one hand on the hilt of her dagger. Better safe than sorry. She moved in front of Yona and made to shield her.

A shadowy figure could be made out as the person drew closer to them, startling them both a little.

"Did you get lost?" they spoke.

"Yes," Yara replied cautiously, suspicion brewing in her emerald eyes. "Do you live here?"

"Take hold of my hand." The shadowy person held out their hand towards the two girls and before (y/n) could stop her, Yona was already holding her hand out. "I'll guide you to where your friends are."

"Yona don't!" Yara warned, trying to pull her back, but she was ignored.

"Thank you," was all she said as she began to follow the suspicious guy and Yara had no choice but to trail after her.

Something told Yara that she didn't want to get on the bad side of Hak. He could be a frightening guy. Shivers.

And that is how they found themselves following nothing but the shadow of a man, and with no clue where they were actually headed. Yara unsheathed her short sword and held it tightly in her grip.

"You saved us. We were having trouble in the dark." No, you were having trouble in the dark.

"The village chief should have warned you this place was a maze."

"I'm sorry, but there's someone we want to find no matter what."

"Is it Seiryuu?" asked the supposed villager, with a chilling undertone.

"Yes," Yona replied.

"A person like that isn't here."

"Whose room is in that pathway?" Yara inquired.

After a moments pause, the shadow said, "there is nobody... Nobody... Is there... Nobody... Nobody... Nobody..."

Yona let go of his hand and clung to the other girl's arm. She wasn't the only one feeling scared; the hairs on Yara's arms were standing on end, and constant shivers travelled up and down her spine. This was a terrible idea. A very terrible idea.

"Say, this isn't where Hak and the others are, is it?" Yara asked, her eyes hardened.

"Why are we going farther underground?" chimed in Yona.

The man turned his head round and a sinister look could be seen in his eyes, with the small amount of light that crept through the cracks in the stone walls. Ba-dump went the poor girls' hearts.

The man forcefully grabbed Yona by the hand and refused to let go. And Yara tried but failed to get her free; the guy was just too strong. Way too strong.

"Let me go!"

"No!!"

"Hak!" Yona started calling out his name.

Yara was the one who wanted to call out for him, but she knew that Yona needed him more than her. This wasn't the time for her selfish desires to scratch out all of her reasoning. She was still attempting to get the creepy ass man off Yona, but her strength was almost spent.

And then a hand appeared from the darkness and simply pulled Yona back into the chest of a peculiar masked man.

Yona and Yara's faces both wore matching looks of shock.

Who was this mysterious guy who had aided them?