Chapter 29: Epilogue

Three Years Later

Once again he is facing his old high school peers. The statement doesn't exactly stimulate him. He has never been a fan of a lot of them, and he is almost sure they feel the same way. They probably don't even remember him now. It's been about nine and half years since graduation and Toby can't imagine that he really left an engraving on any one of them.

But he's keeping his mouth shut. He stays pleasant and supportive, and pretends to care about the guest list because he knows she would go crazy if he acted any differently.

A couple of his old classmates have come up to him, awing at him and his music. Toby is appreciative and humble about it, and doesn't deny them from receiving an autograph. And even though this is not the first time he's been awed and drooled over by an assortment of people, he feels strange. He went to high school with these people. He sat by them in math, and worked with them in lab, and now they are fawning over him. It feels weird and somewhat uncomfortable, but then again, he has always sort of felt this way around them, so what's new?

"You have quite the fan base," Emily notes from behind him. He just got done signing Samara Cook's napkin. He is almost sure that people are just coming up to him now because they think he's famous, and having a famous person's signature is all the rave. He doubts this many of his old classmates have listened to his music. He's not that popular.

Toby just shrugs. "Monkey see, monkey do," he puts worth.

She gives him a peculiar look.

"I think people are just playing follow the leader. People are asking for autographs, so other people want them because... for whatever reason."

Emily just laughs. "All right, Tobes," she giggles. "Whatever you say."

He smiles at her. "So, are you enjoying the party?" he asks.

She nods. "It's nice," she offers kindly. "Are you?" she questions, raising an eyebrow.

He shrugs lazily. "It's nice."

"It feels like Hanna and Caleb's engagement party was yesterday," Emily reminisces. "I remember how much you dreaded it because of a certain girl you used to go to school with. What was her name?"

Toby rolls his eyes slightly, smiling in spite of himself whilst looking at his shoes.

"Started with an S, right?" Emily continues the mockery.

"Yeah, glad she's not here," he plays back, grinning widely at the brunette. "Makes this whole thing so much bearable," he continues.

Emily laughs a little. "Well, congratulations," she states, beaming at him. "I'm happy for you guys."

"Thanks, Em," he wraps his arms around the woman in a friendly hug.

He slips away from Emily, finding Spencer at the entrance. She is somewhat pacing with her arms crossed over her chest. He can practically feel her fretting.

"Spence..." he delivers somewhat cautiously.

Her eyes snap up to him in frenzy. "Oh, hi," she replies.

"You okay?"

She grinds her teeth together, looking down. "Fine. Why wouldn't I be?" she responds. "I mean, I didn't really expect her to actually show up. Why would she? I'm just her youngest daughter, and all."

Ever since Spencer quit law, her relationship with her mother has been deeply strained. She knew it would happen. She was prepared for the isolation and disapproval, but she had underestimated her mother's stubbornness. It's been nearly three years. Well, two years since she actually told her. Two years, and her mother is still refusing to bury the hatchet.