Chapter 25: The Question Mark is Silent

Day 19

"So, tell me... what's Toby like in bed?" Hanna raises a suggestive eyebrow at her friend, her voice balancing on the chords of curiosity and excitement. "Is he... you know..." she bounces up her perfectly shaped eyebrows.

Spencer frowns. "Can we not discuss this?" she requests, irritated. "And no, I don't know," she deadpans, a tiny wrinkle of aggravation forming at her brow. She finishes smearing the peanut butter on her sandwich before delivering it in a zip lock baggie. With more force than necessary, she throws the sandwich in a brown paper bag, along with a snack pack of pretzels.

"Wow. You're uptight," her blonde friend blurts, watching the whole thing in front of her. "Maybe I should call Toby over here. He can help de-stress you," she snickers. "You have time for a quickie, right?"

Spencer aggressively huffs out a ball of agitated air before meeting her friend's amused, sapphire eyes. "No. I don't. I have to go to work." Spencer adds in an apple to her brown lunch bag. "Are you doing anything today? Or just staying here?" she changes the subject.

"Well...I'm supposed to have some designs for Portia by Wednesday, but... I think doing a little shopping may inspire me."

Spencer amusedly grins at her friend. She works at some fashion industry. She's pretty low on the list of important people, but Hanna plans to rise to the top. "It's a five year plan," Hanna had once told her.

"Just don't throw some gigantic party or anything. I don't want to come home to a mess." She's only half joking.

"Spencer, trust me, I'm not planning on throwing any parties," she vows. "I'm not Noel Khan."

Spencer smirks, "Caleb is truly an idiot for trusting him."

"Yeah," she rolls her eyes. "I can't believe I married that idiot."

Spencer smiles at her friend, both of them on the verge of laughing. She puts a friendly hand on Hanna's shoulder before departing from her apartment.

...

She's putting books away when she sees him. At first she thinks she is going crazy. It can't be him. It literally can't. He wouldn't be able to get into the campus' library without some clarification that he went to the school—which he doesn't have, considering he doesn't go here, or anywhere else for that matter. She does three takes before she decides to walk up to him. He's just casually sitting at one of the tables, reading Catcher in the Rye.

"Um," she clears her throat, standing above him. He flicks his eyes up at her, amusement immediately flashing across his face.

"What are you doing here?" she demands.

He doesn't bother to save his page. He just throws the book to the side, stands up and smirks at her. "Good to see you too," he greets, going in for a kiss, which she ultimately dodges. He frowns at her.

"Toby...I swear to God if you get me in trouble..." she hisses out in a fit of anxiety. Her fidgety eyes skip around the library before meeting his gaze. "How did you get in here?!" she demands.

"I have my ways," he replies, easily. A sly smirk resides on his face.

She cocks her head, not accepting the answer.

"Fine. I asked to tag along with this one kid," he shrugged. "All I had to give him was a granola bar."

A tiny smile arises on the brunette's face, her eyes rolling teasingly. "What a bad boy," she murmurs.

He laughs. "When is your lunch break? I thought we could go have lunch by the fountain. I have to tell you about last night."

"Anytime, actually..." she responds. "I get to decide."