Chapter 16: Call for Help

It is a damp April evening, the rain thick and blurred. Her family has gathered around to celebrate her father's birthday. It is one of the first times in forever that they are doing this. It isn't even really a special birthday either. It is his fifty third. No one throws a party for their fifty third. But nonetheless, here they are, in the midst of celebration.

Melissa is going on about her latest case, and how triumphant she was, and how the everyone was so impressed and awed. Melissa liked to exaggerate her achievements. Spencer has learned her sister's ways over the years, although her parents still seem oblivious to it.

The topic eventually swings over to Spencer. They ask her about law school, and if she is number one in her class, and if she is planning to take summer classes to stay ahead. But most of the answers are disappointing to her parents: No, she is not the head of class. No, she isn't planning to take summer courses—she needs a break (and to think about things, but she doesn't tell them that.) But she does tell them she is thinking about doing some other classes—not involving law, though—in the summer.

They are bewildered by this.

"What, Spencer? Why waste the time? The resources?" her father beckons. "You don't need to take any trivial cooking classes. Your mother is an excellent cook, she can teach you, and besides, once you finish law school, and get your career going, you can hire yourself a cook! Think of that!"

"It won't necessarily be cooking classes. I just—I want to try something other than law."

"Spencer, you aren't planning to change your career path? Why, you've already gotten a bachelor degree in law," her mother adds, an intense, angry, glint, roaring in her eyes.

"I'm not planning to do anything," she sighs. "I just—I want to try something else. Like, a dancing class, maybe. Hanna has us in a dance class, right now, and I've learned that I miss it."

"Spencer, dance is a hobby. Law is a career. Focus on your career, not your hobby. You'll have time for that later."

And that's the last thing her father says about it. Or anyone for that matter. Spencer didn't really expect them to jump for joy, but they could have at least kept their nugatory comments on lockdown. (What is she talking about? This is her parents. They know nothing of affection, only aggression.)

But it is at desert, when the night really crashes on her.

"So, kids, there is a reason why I wanted you here tonight, the fact aside that is my birthday."

"What is it, daddy?" Melissa implores after a second.

Her mother's hand covers her father's, and looks to her husband, then her children. "Your father is very sick," she announces in an empathetic tone.

"What?" Spencer murmurs.

"He was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer about six months ago. They, thankfully, caught it pretty early, but it still wasn't early enough. He's been put through chemo and radiation, but it has only spread. We are going to try surgery, now. He's scheduled to go in on the twenty sixth."

"The twenty sixth?" Spencer swallows. "That's in eight days."

"Yes. It will go fine. Your mother and I are going to New York. That's where the best surgeon is for this practice. He's done this tons of time, and all has gone great."

"I want to be there, too," Spencer pipes up.

"If you insist," her father nods.

"Yeah, I would like to be there, also," Melissa comments, a concerned look on her face.