Chapter 11: Jealousy

"Thanks for seeing this movie with me. Caleb doesn't appreciate actual complex cinema...and Aria...she saw it with Fitz..." Spencer sighs.

Ignoring the fact that he was her third choice, Toby asks, "with Fitz? How is that possible?"

"You're going to get a huge kick out of this. So, Aria was with her mom, and they were going to see this movie. Then Fitz is there, too! Aria's mom invited him to sit with them," she gets out through her laughter.

Toby is laughing now, too.

"That's awful," he shakes his head.

Spencer shrugs, "Aria was pretty torn up about it. She got annoyed at me for laughing, but I mean, how can't you laugh at that?" Spencer goes on.

"You can be a good friend, and be empathetic..." his voice trails.

"Shut up! You are laughing too!" she reprimands him, the smile on her face still beaming.

" Yeah, but at least it isn't in her face," he tries to make an argument, but he knows it is faulty. Laughing behind someone's back doesn't exactly reward you of the best friend trophy. And Spencer knows that. So, before she can reply, he speaks up again, "okay, maybe that is equally as bad..."

"Yes it is," she nods, her eyes staring at the screen.

"What do you think Aria and Caleb would think if they knew we were here...together...?" he suddenly asks. They have been sneaking around for months now, and to their knowings, Caleb and Aria had no idea.

"They'd probably think that we are into each other, or something," she answers, her caramel eyes flickering over to his blue ones. "I mean we aren't," she goes on, "but you know. I mean, it sort of could look like that. I mean the sneaking around—that's what Fitz and Aria do."

He nods slowly, his eyes losing the gaze they share. "Yeah, they probably would," he agrees, adding another nod to emphasize his agreement.

"They're annoying like that..." Spencer says, and he can practically hear her eyes rolling.

"Why don't we just tell them?" he offers.

"I don't know," she shrugs. "It isn't like we are keeping it a secret, or anything. If they ask, we can tell them. I just—I don't know. Do you want to tell them? It isn't like we are doing anything bad..."

"I don't care," he offers.

"Me neither," she replies.

"If they ask, we'll tell them, or they can figure it out on their own. We aren't hiding anything..." Spencer elaborates.

xxx

"How was the concert?"

Spencer glances up to Aria, feeling cornered by the question. She just feels odd answering it. She went with Toby. And then there was that point where she felt like they were going to kiss—where she wanted to kiss him, and how they had the heartfelt conversation about Caleb. And then there was that whole thing when they got back into Philadelphia...

"Spencer," the words wake her up.

She glances around, confused. Then she sees Toby, and remembers how he offered to drive.

"What?" she demands, a grogginess in her voice. She sits up in her seat, pushing her hair behind her ears.

"We're at my loft," he tells her.