Chapter 17: She Cries, Cries, In Her Lonely Heart.

A week and a day later she is at a hospital in New York.

Her mother has that anxious look on her face the whole time. The one where her eyebrows are pushed together, and her mouth is tensing, causing an abundance of wrinkles to form around her lips. Her hand is either at her hip, or dangling close to her mouth, as if she is tempted to gnaw at it. Even though her husband of 27 years is about to go into surgery, she does not dare to ignore a call from a client. She is in and out of the room all morning, and only is consistent in her staying when the doctor is explaining something.

Melissa never stops using the word, "daddy". ("Are you feeling hot, Daddy? Do you want me to call a nurse to dab you with a moist toilette?" Only Melissa would use the word toilette. ) And when she is not referring to their father with the words of a seven-year old, she is talking down to the nurses. ("Are you sure you're doing that right? My husband's a doctor, so I'm pretty well educated about this stuff. Is there anyone more qualified to do this? I don't want you hurting my Daddy.")

Spencer guesses it could be worse.

At 11AM, two hours before her father is scheduled for surgery, when both her sister and mother are out of the room, her father says something that startles her, "I'm proud of you, Spencer."

Spencer's never heard the words come out of her father's mouth. She's heard variations of the words, but they were all directed to Melissa. Never her. She was always the black sheep of the family. Always the one who brought the family's level of perfection down.

He continues, "you," he points a finger at her. "You really surprised me. I didn't know how you would turn out, you know with all your complications throughout high school, but look at you." He waits a second. She should have known this was only some back handed compliment. You really surprised me. I didn't know how you would turn out. All your complications—when he said that, he was likely referring to her Aderall addiction, just another thing to cause her family shame. But she supposes back handed compliments are the closest things to compliments he can get past his lips. "You're on your way to becoming a lawyer, not letting any silly relationship coming between that. You can save that for later." She knows what, or rather who, he is referring to—Melissa. She got married in the middle of law school. It was to a doctor, but it still caused a rift between her and the Hastings parents for a while. But eventually everything smoothed over. The prodigal child didn't leave her throne for too long.

"Thanks," she manages to say, even though it leaves a bad taste in her mouth.

He must sense her discomfort, for he continues, only startling her more. "Oh, I'm not good at this, you know. I didn't mean it like that. I am just saying, you put all your struggles behind you, and came out strong. You pulled through, that's not something everyone can do, you know?" he remarks, a sort of smile arranging on his lips. "But you are a Hastings. You have the DNA to excel."

Spencer offers a timid smile, "thanks," she says a little more sincerely.

He nods, a pleased look covering his face. "You think it would be bad if I stole some grapes from you?" he nods to the bowl of grapes in her hands.

"Dad, you're not supposed to eat before the surgery," she reminds him.

He sighs, "I know, but Jesus Christ, you would think they would forbid anyone from bringing food in here. You know, the temptation."

"I can throw it away if you want," she rises a little in her seat.

He grabs her wrist, "no, it's fine, sweets. You eat it, I'll just watch."