Chapter 15: Friends With Benefits

"Relationships are stupid," Spencer repeats, throwing a shot of vodka in her mouth.

"Want me to beat him up for you?" Caleb offers.

Spencer gives him a pointed look, "no offense...but..."

"Okay, shut up, I get it."

"Thanks though," she offers a petite smile.

"Andrew isn't that great, Spence. I didn't even think you liked him that much."

"I didn't," she clarifies in a sharp tone. "It just sucks. Because my family liked him, and we got along, and both valued the same things," she shrugs. "Sometimes it's just nice having someone."

"You have people. You have me. You have Aria," he lists.

"Yeah, but you know," she stares at the empty shot of stolen vodka. She pours more vodka into the shot glass. Taking it down with a grimace. "You know...someone," she emphasizes.

She rolls her eyes, sighing, "I sound so dumb." She picks up the vodka bottle, staring at it, "I should stop downing this. I'm going to sound worse than Aria with this romance bull shit."

Caleb laughs. "I don't think anyone can sound worse than Aria..." he offers.

Spencer snorts, shaking her head. "Thanks Caleb," she grins over at him. "For not judging me."

"Anytime, Spence."

...

"Shut up," he growls.

"I'm not saying anything..." she murmurs quietly. If she speaks any louder an abundance of laughter will trample past her mouth, and she is pretty sure it won't ever stop. She'll probably have to be escorted to the hospital, and sedated.

"I can hear you. I can hear your thoughts."

"Didn't know you had a sixth sense..." she mumbles, unable to hold back her sass.

"It's you. You should be laughing—doing something. How have you not made a joke yet?"

"I—," and then the laughing ensues. She shakes her head, her stomach wrenching, and her eyes watering at the prospect of it all. She clenches the blanket, and feels Toby shoulder shoving into her. She peers at his glare, and just laughs harder. Then she looks away, snickering. "It's just—," the words tumble from her lips. "You—," she continues to bellow.

She shakes her head, "I'm sorry," her voice leans out in a high pitch. "I can't," she ducks her head down.

She hears Toby groan, which heightens her laughter. She looks over to him, and his face is buried into a pillow. "I don't think that's gonna help much," she teases through her laughter, her teary filled eyes staring down at him in amusement.

He turns back around in a swift movement, and frowns, looking southward. "This never happens," he grumbles.

"It happens to a lot of guys," she offers, her thick laughter finally coming to a soft chuckle, of sorts. "You're so melodramatic," she muses. "Wanna watch a movie? Try again, later? But I'm not watching any pornos..."

She bursts into a fit of laughter over her own joke, and falls back on her side, staring at his seething face.

"It's not that big of a deal, seriously...erectile dys—"

"Stop," he groans, grabbing his pillow from behind his head, and covering his face with it.

She giggles, a graceful smile planted on her lips.