Chapter 22: Have Faith In Me

Spencer would try texting him, but it kind of seems useless to her. What is she supposed to even say? She supposes sorry would be a good start, but her stubbornness stops her every time she picks up her phone. She feels bad, and she knows it is mostly her fault, but Toby's whole optimistic point of view of relationships is just wrong. Considering what his last girlfriend put him through, shouldn't he know that? They fail, and perish, and unravel, and it doesn't have to be something huge, or wide, either. It can be the smallest leak that sinks the ship.

"Something wrong?" Wren asks her.

Her mother put her in the living room with Wren, while Melissa and her mother finish off the meal. Apparently she isn't trusted around the food, and is better for entertaining Melissa's intrusive husband. "I'm fine," she states.

He offers a smile, setting a hand on her knee, patting it. Wren has this issue about personal space. "You're strong, all you Hastings are strong," his hand returns back to him.

Spencer just nods because she doesn't really know how to respond. There's a difference between hiding your emotions, and being strong. Everyone thinks it is the same thing, but it's not. Bottling everything up, and ending up bawling in your car after you hit the limit, isn't strong. It's unhealthy. That's the Hastings for you, though.

"Sometimes I wish Melissa wasn't so elusive," he suddenly sighs. "I just—I wish I knew what she was thinking. She can be very cold sometimes."

"Melissa has always been like that, trust me," Spencer comments.

"I just wish I knew when I was upsetting her," Wren states. "It's very hard sometimes," he goes on. "I guess I'm just saying all of this because you're her sister. A Hastings. You know her genetics."

Spencer laughs, "Trust me, I have no idea what is going on in Melissa's head."

Wren just sighs, breathily. She's never really liked Wren because of the whole personal space thing, and there have been instances where she was almost sure he was flirting with her, but he was really helpful after her father's death. She sort of has grown to at least—somewhat—respect him. So, seeing him, dumbfounded and clueless on the works of her sister, kind of made her feel bad for him. Kind of.

"Melissa is just bad at showing affection, sometimes," she offers, supportively. "She doesn't mean to be elusive, or doubtful, it's just in her DNA," she states glumly, thinking of Toby. She checks her phone again for any text messages. None. "She married you, didn't she? That's something."

Wren nods, "it's something," he states in a lighter tune.

"You seeing anyone?" he asks, a charming smile appearing on his lips.

"I'm not sure," she decides after a moment, glancing back at her phone. "...it's complicated."

Wren chuckles "aren't all relationships, though."

Spencer half smirks, "yeah, they are, but...I don't know. I tend to complicate them even more," she smacks her lips together in a huff.

"We all have our faults, Spencer," he says. "Nobody's perfect."

"Don't tell my family that," Spencer scoffs.

After talking to Wren she decides to text Toby. Nothing really specific, but just "We need to talk." She isn't sure where they stand. Are they still together? Was that a break up? Does she need to prepare herself for dealing with the awkward pretenses at the wedding?

During dinner, she hears her phone go off, and her heart nearly skips a beat at the noise. Once she is sure all eyes are unfocused on her, she slides her phone into her lap. But is majorly disappointed when she see's that it is only Hanna. She almost forgot through this whole thing with Toby that she was mad at Hanna.