Chapter 10: Common Interests

Sometimes Spencer came over to work on homework, well, AP physics homework, mostly. They helped each other with it. Spencer would never admit to it, but she needed his help as much as he needed hers.

Sometimes Toby would stay a little while after they completed their homework. It was kind of strange at first, but eventually it became almost normal. Then one say came along and changed everything. Spencer had come over after school, completely forgetting that they weren't assigned homework, and even if they were, it was Friday. Toby was oblivious to all these fine details too apparently, because he didn't stop her from coming in.

They sat at his dining room table, like always. Spencer pulled out her planner, and went through it. Then it hit her. It was Friday, and their teacher didn't assign homework for the weekend. She closed her planner, and looked at him, "it's Friday."

"Yeah," he nods, not looking up from his phone. "Why is that a problem? Don't you always start your homework on Fridays? I never thought I would become such a nerd."

"That isn't the problem," she grits through her teeth. "The problem," she begins in a voice of annoyance, "is that we don't have any homework."

He drops his phone on the table, and looks up at her. "Oh, yeah. We don't..." realization crosses his face.

They sit there awkwardly for a moment. Spencer looks away, bringing her crossed feet more under her chair. She clasps her hands together, setting them on her lap.

"We could do something else," he offers.

"Like what?"

"I don't know. Watch a movie."

"What movie?"

"Anything but the Notebook..." he voices.

She rolls her eyes, "you're such a typical boy. Have you ever even seen The Notebook?"'

"Yes, and I hate the ending. They die together? That's so unrealistic... and lame."

"Okay, fine, I admit that part was a little surreal. But the rest of the movie is great."

"They make out in the rain. That is so...cliché."

She purses her lips, annoyed, "it is passionate."

"It's overdone."

"Fine, then. What do you have in mind?" she counters.

"I told you I don't care."

"You are so annoying! Just pick something. I don't even know what you have," she glares at him, becoming impatient.

"I have everything. You see Spencer, there's this thing called the internet. Haven't you ever watched something illegally?" he squints his sapphire eyes at her.

"No, Toby. I am not a felon, like you. You know, you could get into a lot of trouble for that, right?"

"If I do, will you be my lawyer?"

"Considering I'm only seventeen, and haven't completed Law School, let alone High School, I don't really think I'm going to be able to help you."

He smiles, "I'm sure you're better than anyone I could actually pay for."

A compliment? From Toby Cavanaugh? Strange.

"Thanks, but I don't really think I'm going to follow the Hastings family business."

"Why not?" he questions.